Problem with grill pan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsOats

Senior Cook
I'm having quite a bit of trouble cooking with my CI grill pan. First of all, I cook on an electric range. I've tried med-high heat (bad idea) and med heat (better), but I can't seem to get meats to cook all the way through before they start to burn. This pan has wide and tall grill mark makers (grates? lol.. I apologize for the terminology), and I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. It makes excellent grill marks intially, but by the time the food gets up to temp it is burnt. What am I doing wrong?

-Nick

Attachments

• grillpan.jpg
    grillpan.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 240
Because of the high ridges, less than 1/4 of the meat surface is in contact with the pan surface. This slows the transfer of heat from the pan to the meat.

You could grill mark both sides with the burner on a higher temeprature then turn it down until it cooks through, or,

Make your grill marks on both sides then pop the whole pan into a 350 F oven to finish cooking. The wood handle will be OK in a 350 F oven. It may darken over time.

I prefer to sear the meat in a regular skillet (CI or SS) and finish it in the oven (at 400 F) if it's a thick steak.

I think Andy's idea is a good one. One of the things I have learned about cooking with my cast iron grill is that it heats up slowly and rather unevenly. It is important to let it get thoroughly heated before you put the meat on it. So I start out at a lower temp and heat it up gradually (for maybe 3-5 minutes) and then when I put the meat on it, it is evenly hot all over and cooks at a constant rate.

thanks all. Andy's suggestion worked perfectly! I grilled a few chicken breasts last night: lightly rubbed with e.v.o.o., seasoned with Emeril's chicken rub, grilled for about 4 minutes each side, then into the 350 degree oven for about 10 mins got them to a wonderfully juicy 165 degrees. I'm happy now!

Back
Top Bottom