"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Re: Bolognese. What do you make your sauces with? Bolognese is a meat sauce with some tomato in it. Not a tomato sauce. It also includes dairy either milk or cream. Post a link to the recipe.
I still won't get used to the fact you use milk etc. in your Bolognese over there.. before I read it here it has not even occurred as a possibility in my thoughts..

search the forum for some bolognese recipes, I'm sure there are few, either in the ethnic or the veggie section. A Ragu bolognese is quite simple, it just needs its time

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook4984 View Post
Curries, my issues are that its not creamy enough. Now ofc alot of 'traditional' curries are loaded with stuff like coconut, ghee, etc etc however I would like a creamy curry whilst still being healthy :P. I tried adding low fat milk but that still didnt improve it much as it makes the curry more curdled than anything, the yoghurt and the wateryness form the tomatoes etc would just separate out rather than mix together. So any suggestions for making curries richer/creamier in consistency without being unhealthy?

As for bolognese sauce...I find it always ends up bland, in a similar way to the curries I make. They are just watery without any consistency or taste. They taste more like heated tomatoes and a little bit of spice rather than a unique tasting meal :(. I also love a bit of strong cheese on them but I find as soon as the cheese gets hot it just turns into this tasteless plasticy goop which galvanizes itself to my fork and the dish. I have wrecked a few dish cleaners form this ominous substance getting caked to their surface making them unusable afterwards.

So tips please! :)
Curries: If you add the yoghourt at the end of the cooking time, allowing the dish to go off the boil slightly before adding the yoghourt it shouldn't separate. Another ruse is to stabilise the yoghurt with a teaspoon or two of corn starch and let it cook off. Whole milk yoghourt behaves slightly better than low fat.

Bolognese: The obvious suggestion is salt. Do you cook the Bolognese for long enough to allow the flavours to coalesce and the unwanted liquid to evapourate? Do you add a pinch or so of sugar to take the edge off the tomato's sharpness? As for the cheese With spaghetti (etc) Bolognese grate the cheese on immediately before eating rather than cooking it in the sauce. Cheese will go stringy if you cook it too much. Are you using "proper" cheese or are you using the stuff we have over here which goes by the sinister name of "cheese product". Without knowing your recipe it's hard to know where you are going wrong.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks both,

menumaker thats some great tips, had totally not thought of adding nuts. I have no qualms about using nuts since they are good fats :)

Right will try tomato paste in the mix next time. I just hadnt bothered as i figured ive got loads of tomato in already why add more :P?
Tomato paste enriches he flavour of the canned tomatoes.

Incidentally, if using Quorn I wouldn't add it until almost the end of cooking as it can get a bit rubbery when cooked for a long time.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks, yes for me its the opposite my sauces are too runny and just juices. I dont do anything really except add vegetables and spices for either dishes, so that is why i didnt say it cos i basically just wanna know the essential ingredients which make sauces rich and creamy (apart from cream :P).

If it is the case that its only adding coconut or cream then maybe ill look for some healthier alternative which retains the same binding properties without the health hit?
Coconut milk has undergone rehabilitation of late and is now thought very good for you - in moderation, of course.
The health benefits of... coconut milk | BBC Good Food

You can buy lower fat coconut milk but it isn't (IME) as thick as the full fat stuff. Shake the can. If you can hear it slopping about in the can it isn't very thick so choose the can that doesn't slop.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Yes the pasta sauce I think the tomato paste really did the trick. Just like one poster said it really added to the depth of the tomato taste. I bought a lil parmesan too to add. So I think that one is pretty much sorted now :). I love adding capers to them which I had forgoten about.

Will give the curry suggestion a go next! :)

Tags
sauce