"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Problems with curries and bolonese sauce

Curries, my issues are that its not creamy enough. Now ofc alot of 'traditional' curries are loaded with stuff like coconut, ghee, etc etc however I would like a creamy curry whilst still being healthy :P. I tried adding low fat milk but that still didnt improve it much as it makes the curry more curdled than anything, the yoghurt and the wateryness form the tomatoes etc would just separate out rather than mix together. So any suggestions for making curries richer/creamier in consistency without being unhealthy?

As for bolognese sauce...I find it always ends up bland, in a similar way to the curries I make. They are just watery without any consistency or taste. They taste more like heated tomatoes and a little bit of spice rather than a unique tasting meal :(. I also love a bit of strong cheese on them but I find as soon as the cheese gets hot it just turns into this tasteless plasticy goop which galvanizes itself to my fork and the dish. I have wrecked a few dish cleaners form this ominous substance getting caked to their surface making them unusable afterwards.

So tips please! :)

Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Wine Guy

It's difficult to offer advice without knowing exactly what you are currently doing. Personally, I like to make a lot of tomato based curries, just for the reasons you describe. Not that I feel yogurt or coconut milk are necessarily unhealthy, but they can jack up the calories (by the way, if you do use yogurt, it must be the full fat variety, which isn't as quick to curdle when heated).

You can usually replace any or all of the coconut milk, yogurt, or cream with tomato puree. If there isn't enough gravy, or it's too thick, just add a little water or stock until the consistency is what you are looking for. Sometimes I add just a dash of cream at the end to give a little more richness.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, yes for me its the opposite my sauces are too runny and just juices. I dont do anything really except add vegetables and spices for either dishes, so that is why i didnt say it cos i basically just wanna know the essential ingredients which make sauces rich and creamy (apart from cream :P).

If it is the case that its only adding coconut or cream then maybe ill look for some healthier alternative which retains the same binding properties without the health hit?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Re: Bolognese. What do you make your sauces with? Bolognese is a meat sauce with some tomato in it. Not a tomato sauce. It also includes dairy either milk or cream. Post a link to the recipe.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Well no recipe, i just made it up as i go :P

I just used 3 tins of tomatoes and basil, onions garlic and quorn mince for the meat- not that im vegetarian for the record just like it for a change sometimes..
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Sous Chef

For your curries try adding creme fraiche instead of yoghurt towards the end of the cooking time and/or a tablesp (per 1/2pt of sauce) of ground almonds sprinkled in. This will give you a beautiful flavor and WILL also thicken the sauce so just remember that.
For your tomato sauces, try tinned plum tomatoes with a dash of ketchup mixed in with some fresh or dried oregano or basil. Don't add any more water than absolutely necessary and cook your sauce long and slow, preferably the day before you want to eat it. Use the leanest and best meat that you can afford and just before serving add a dash of balsamic vinegar. The cheese needs to be a hard cheese such as cheddar or best of all, grated parmesan type cheese.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook4984 View Post
Well no recipe, i just made it up as i go :P

I just used 3 tins of tomatoes and basil, onions garlic and quorn mince for the meat- not that im vegetarian for the record just like it for a change sometimes..
That's a tomato sauce, not a Bolognese sauce, which like Andy pointed out is more of a meat ragu with some tomato, wine and milk.

Drain the tomatoes, add tomato paste, red wine and let it cook down. It will thicken up as the water evaporates.

Make sure you season it with salt and pepper at the beginning.

Cook it with a rind of parmesan cheese in it for added flavor. Remove before serving.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks both,

menumaker thats some great tips, had totally not thought of adding nuts. I have no qualms about using nuts since they are good fats :)

Right will try tomato paste in the mix next time. I just hadnt bothered as i figured ive got loads of tomato in already why add more :P?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook4984 View Post
Thanks both,

menumaker thats some great tips, had totally not thought of adding nuts. I have no qualms about using nuts since they are good fats :)

Right will try tomato paste in the mix next time. I just hadnt bothered as i figured ive got loads of tomato in already why add more :P?

Tomato paste adds a little thickness and depth of flavor. So it might be a good addition to a sauce that is watery and bland.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

Try fat free evaporated milk for the curry

Tags
sauce