"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Product Design student looking for input

Hello,

My name is Scott and I am a student at the Cleveland Institute of Art studying Industrial Design. I am working on the research portion a project to identify inconveniences of cooking and ways to improve the cooking experience.

By "cooking experience" I mean everything that comes before and after cooking. Things like meal planning, grocery shopping, preparation, cleanup, etc.

I have found this website to be very helpful in understanding the many ways that people cook and various strategies involved. I'm very curious about what you all have to say as it's been extremely insightful so far, which brings me to my question:

What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the cooking experience? (and please let me know if I've missed something important)

I look forward to the discussion

Thank you,
Scott

Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Again, this is purely for educational purposes. I'll be sure to post keep you all up to date on where the project goes!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

This may sound dumb, but I like to prep all my veges, onion, meat before starting to cook even a small family dinner and always hate either having to dirty a lot of little bowls to hold them or having to push them into little piles on my chopping board and then get some of the ingredients mixed together. I think a cool product for the home cook would be some kind of board with little bowl like holes or separate compartments kind of like a TV dinner tray could be used to store the chopped ingredients so you only have one item to toss into the dishwasher. Obviously not good for big meals or commercial use, but as long as you're looking for something new........
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

It's all useful information! Nothing is too silly. It's great to hear the different ways that people cook. That's essentially what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedeBear View Post
This may sound dumb, but I like to prep all my veges, onion, meat before starting to cook even a small family dinner and always hate either having to dirty a lot of little bowls to hold them or having to push them into little piles on my chopping board and then get some of the ingredients mixed together. I think a cool product for the home cook would be some kind of board with little bowl like holes or separate compartments kind of like a TV dinner tray could be used to store the chopped ingredients so you only have one item to toss into the dishwasher. Obviously not good for big meals or commercial use, but as long as you're looking for something new........
Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedeBear View Post
You mean like this? 20 bucks at Cost Plus World Market
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have often thought that a "pot-minder" would be nice. With our ageing population, forgetting a pot on the stove can be a safety hazard. Heck, I've forgotten a pot on the stove, as has my DH. I'm not sure what kind of gadget it would be, if it would be a sensor you attach to a pot or if it would be incorporated into the design of the pot so the material used to make the pot has embedded in it a sensor that makes an audible sound...or if it would be incorporated into the burner... Another thing I've often wanted, was a third hand for stirring things when I am making gravy, stirring something else, and trying to mind a third pot (and one that wouldn't be doing some sort of funky chicken dance with me as I am minding my two pots). Seamstresses have this type of thing to help hold fabric, etc. Weavers have tools that let them do what they need to do without having another person around...I know, another gadget. But if it could be mounted over the stove (maybe part of the exhaust fan) and "swung down" to the stovetop when needed, it wouldn't take up a lot of room.

Do I get a percentage of the royalties if you end up designing and selling either of these ideas?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Head Chef

A pot that could stir itself, lol, that sounds so crazy but I'm sooo serious... THere is nothing I hate more than standing at the stove stiring custards or sauces that would lump or burn otherwise.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Executive Chef

As far as the boiled out pot is concerned, the sensor has already been invented, it just hasn't been incorporated into a standard everyday pot or pan. Well, it would most likely be incorporated into the burner itself. You will find one in a rice cooker. That is how rice cookers know when to shift to KEEP WARM.

You're too late on the pot stirrer, too. $11.65 at Ace Hardware or $9.99 at Bed Bugs and Beyond

I am a horrible spoil sport, am I not?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
As far as the boiled out pot is concerned, the sensor has already been invented, it just hasn't been incorporated into a standard everyday pot or pan. Well, it would most likely be incorporated into the burner itself. You will find one in a rice cooker. That is how rice cookers know when to shift to KEEP WARM. *edited* miracle stirrer..

You're too late on the pot stirrer, too. $11.65 at Ace Hardware or $9.99 at Bed Bugs and Beyond

I am a horrible spoil sport, am I not?

Spoil sport??? Are you kidding I'm about to buy this miracle pot! Have you tried it?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Me too! But I'll have to wait until my next trip south. I also will have to find a place to store it...that's why I wanted it turned on with a switch on the fan and "swing".