Product Design student looking for input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Student-CookingResearch

Assistant Cook
Hello,

My name is Scott and I am a student at the Cleveland Institute of Art studying Industrial Design. I am working on the research portion a project to identify inconveniences of cooking and ways to improve the cooking experience.

By "cooking experience" I mean everything that comes before and after cooking. Things like meal planning, grocery shopping, preparation, cleanup, etc.

I have found this website to be very helpful in understanding the many ways that people cook and various strategies involved. I'm very curious about what you all have to say as it's been extremely insightful so far, which brings me to my question:

What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the cooking experience? (and please let me know if I've missed something important)

I look forward to the discussion

Thank you,
Scott

Last edited:
This may sound dumb, but I like to prep all my veges, onion, meat before starting to cook even a small family dinner and always hate either having to dirty a lot of little bowls to hold them or having to push them into little piles on my chopping board and then get some of the ingredients mixed together. I think a cool product for the home cook would be some kind of board with little bowl like holes or separate compartments kind of like a TV dinner tray could be used to store the chopped ingredients so you only have one item to toss into the dishwasher. Obviously not good for big meals or commercial use, but as long as you're looking for something new........

It's all useful information! Nothing is too silly. It's great to hear the different ways that people cook. That's essentially what I'm looking for. Thanks.

This may sound dumb, but I like to prep all my veges, onion, meat before starting to cook even a small family dinner and always hate either having to dirty a lot of little bowls to hold them or having to push them into little piles on my chopping board and then get some of the ingredients mixed together. I think a cool product for the home cook would be some kind of board with little bowl like holes or separate compartments kind of like a TV dinner tray could be used to store the chopped ingredients so you only have one item to toss into the dishwasher. Obviously not good for big meals or commercial use, but as long as you're looking for something new........

You mean like this?
pCPWM-8753386v300x300.jpg
20 bucks at Cost Plus World Market

Last edited:
I have often thought that a "pot-minder" would be nice. With our ageing population, forgetting a pot on the stove can be a safety hazard. Heck, I've forgotten a pot on the stove, as has my DH. I'm not sure what kind of gadget it would be, if it would be a sensor you attach to a pot or if it would be incorporated into the design of the pot so the material used to make the pot has embedded in it a sensor that makes an audible sound...or if it would be incorporated into the burner... Another thing I've often wanted, was a third hand for stirring things when I am making gravy, stirring something else, and trying to mind a third pot (and one that wouldn't be doing some sort of funky chicken dance with me as I am minding my two pots). Seamstresses have this type of thing to help hold fabric, etc. Weavers have tools that let them do what they need to do without having another person around...I know, another gadget. But if it could be mounted over the stove (maybe part of the exhaust fan) and "swung down" to the stovetop when needed, it wouldn't take up a lot of room.

Do I get a percentage of the royalties if you end up designing and selling either of these ideas?

Last edited:
A pot that could stir itself, lol, that sounds so crazy but I'm sooo serious... THere is nothing I hate more than standing at the stove stiring custards or sauces that would lump or burn otherwise.

As far as the boiled out pot is concerned, the sensor has already been invented, it just hasn't been incorporated into a standard everyday pot or pan. Well, it would most likely be incorporated into the burner itself. You will find one in a rice cooker. That is how rice cookers know when to shift to KEEP WARM.

You're too late on the pot stirrer, too.
g6207039.jpg
$11.65 at Ace Hardware or $9.99 at Bed Bugs and Beyond

I am a horrible spoil sport, am I not?

Last edited:
As far as the boiled out pot is concerned, the sensor has already been invented, it just hasn't been incorporated into a standard everyday pot or pan. Well, it would most likely be incorporated into the burner itself. You will find one in a rice cooker. That is how rice cookers know when to shift to KEEP WARM. *edited* miracle stirrer..

You're too late on the pot stirrer, too.
g6207039.jpg
$11.65 at Ace Hardware or $9.99 at Bed Bugs and Beyond

I am a horrible spoil sport, am I not?

Spoil sport??? Are you kidding I'm about to buy this miracle pot! Have you tried it?

Last edited:
Me too! But I'll have to wait until my next trip south. I also will have to find a place to store it...that's why I wanted it turned on with a switch on the fan and "swing".

The thing I hate about cooking is when you have so much going on you can barely keep up with it! The self stirring device is genius, you'd think that's when your boyfriend would come in handy but he's so picky I'm lucky if he will even try my cooking. I also try to prep everything before hand just to make it easier unless I know I'll have a few mins when everything else is simmering/ boiling or whatever.

Re: OP research

Another ID person. CCAD ID division Columbus Ohio Alumni myself.

Something that may be of interest to you is the story of Ron Popeil. His family was in the business of making solutions to kitchen drudgery. You may find a book with an odd title:

"What The Dog Saw" by Malcom Gladwell to be worth your time to read.

If it hasn't been mentioned to you before, "Design for the Real World" by
Victor Papanek takes a look into some methods of thinking that would relate to
the quest you are on.

Electrolux, whom we usually think of as a vacuum cleaner producer, spends
considerable effort in ID to innovate products for the future. Their "Heart of the Home" kitchen range is an attempt to address the way we cook in the kitchen.

electrolux_cmyk_03_notes-1024x690.jpg

Electrolux 'Heart of the Home' kitchen concept | Electrolux Design Lab

As for myself, my indoor kitchen is a "galley" an rather small. So I have to take a minimalist approach at getting as much utility from as few cooking devices as I can.
The devices would be food processors, meat cutting & grinding, and vegetable processing equipment. I'm left with the choice of purchasing semi processed foods
such as shredded cheese to skip the labor of processing.

One product I've found worthwhile for myself is the turbo convection cooker.

morningware-infrared-oven.jpg

Especially the ones where the heater blower and bowl fit down over top of the food
to seal on the cooking surface. These are surprising in the range of what they can do. They exceed the range of usefulness of a Micro Wave.

Speaking of Micro Waves, In high school science class we had a guest speaker once who spoke to us about the future and in the discussion he spent some time talking about Micro Wave Ranges. Called Radar Ranges by some then.

Toward the end of his discussion he asked for ideas. I raised my hand and asked if it would ever be possible to have one where if you turned the knob to the other direction that it would cool instead of heat. The Teacher was approaching me quickly with an angry expression. The speaker stopped him just in time explaining that I had a good idea. Teacher thought I was just another smart azz giving his guest
a hard time.

A few years later I was watching a science program "the next step" or "beyond 2000" and they showed one and the technology it took to make it function. Interestingly enough these were considered experimental and they would be found on "The Space Shuttles". But they worked on sound frequency as engineers had found that when things vibrate at certain frequencies, they get cold. At other frequencies they get hot. The technology that makes the microwave heat was discovered by accident in England during WW2 with the development of RADAR.
That device is the "Magnetron Tube".

But as I learned when I worked in product & packaging.....so many of the ideas
we have now are revivals of old idea that may have been ahead of their time then.
But with new processes, materials, and innovations of thinking they can be made
into workable solutions.

One way of looking at the kitchen issues is to take a square drawn on paper and divided into 4 smaller squares. In the top left, ideas that work well and have been successful. In the upper right, ideas that worked but need more research and development. In the lower left, ideas that failed and yet gave some insights but will
likely be marginal. In the lower right, Sure fired Failures.

Considering using this as an evaluation technique. Those in sales and marketing
sure love it. And in time you will likely work, as I once did, between Engineers and Salespeople. If you're lucky you'll have an Engineer boss who makes order and sense out of each day. Not a Sales Manager boss who lets the sales staff make your life resemble a Dilbert Cartoon. My Engineer boss had his cubical wall papered with Dilbert Cartoons. IM me if you wish to discuss ideas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom