"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Old 09-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Mad Cook, you have completely misunderstood the point. It's mostly people who make a point of being knowledgeable about food and nutrition who exclaim proudly that they "don't eat chemicals" or "don't eat something I can't pronounce," which says to me that they don't really understand what the word chemicals means. Many food additives are as innocuous as the food itself and all identified food elements have their own chemical names.

So this is not a slam against the uneducated, but the educated yet ignorant, like the parents in California responsible for outbreaks of whooping cough, etc., because they think they know more about infectious disease than medical professionals and epidemiologists.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
OK ,PF, help me out here. Dog vitamins = phytonutrients....?
Oh, durrr! I'd forgotten about the accent. (Yes, I know, I'm the one with the accent )
Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
Executive Chef

It took me a few minutes to get it, and I don't have the accent!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's an article describing in more detail the problem I outlined:
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...-choose-badly/
Old 09-29-2014, 02:32 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

gg, i understood your post from the get go.

i can't pronounce everything (i mean i can, but someone else might not understand me. lol.)

on the other side of the coin, there's "healthy" or natural stuff that's not good for you, too.

i know people who drink loads of alcohol, but refuse to eat things "made from chemicals" like doritos, or hot dogs.

EVERYTHING is made from chemicals, and humans are adaptive.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:47 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Here's an article describing in more detail the problem I outlined:
The Food Babe and Rob Schneider: When companies choose poorly Ė Respectful Insolence
A dear, long-time friend of mine (she was my Brownie co-leader back in 1989-90) and I are facebook friends. She just loves sharing posts from "Natural News". Talk about super-hoax, pseudoscience quackery! Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to disable posts from Natural News and am still exposed to the Onion of health and science! Except, he doesn't realize most of his articles would qualify for The Onion!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
A dear, long-time friend of mine (she was my Brownie co-leader back in 1989-90) and I are facebook friends. She just loves sharing posts from "Natural News". Talk about super-hoax, pseudoscience quackery! Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to disable posts from Natural News and am still exposed to the Onion of health and science! Except, he doesn't realize most of his articles would qualify for The Onion!
LOL, CG! I could say the same about one of my Fb friends. The things she posts really surprise me .