Propagating Lemongrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) I cant find my article but basically you get some nice lemon grass and stick it in a jar of water till roots start growing or even just into dirt it is supposed to grow easily in just about any kind of soil it is suposed to branch out and multiply.

If I find article I will send more info.JP

THANKS GUYS! :chef: :chef:

Jkath, that was a great article! Totally answered my question. Plus, now I know from JP that I can make more from store-bought lemongrass -- which I will do this weekend. The plants I have already started came from the nursery.

Here's an odd fact regarding propagation:
If you purchase those little plastic boxes with fresh herbs, on occassion, you'll find one that will sprout roots for you. It also keeps better that way, if you keep it in a glass of drinking water.

:) Let us know how it turns out Ive been wanting to try and grow some since it is impossible to get where I live.And as you know dried lemon grass is not the same.
Since we are usually about 20% humidity I will create an artificial enviroment with a mini green house and grow it on the kitchen window.

Last edited:
I am planning to split the ones in my patio pot tonight and go to the asian market (where 4 stalks of lemongrass are only $1) and start making some more!

And jkath ... so if I buy some herbs in a plastic box and keep in water they might sprout? Hmmmmmmmmm..... yet another idea .....

every so often they do! Check the dates on them, though - some are a bit old, so reach to the very back where the goods ones are!

Another good idea that I've used: go for a walk! Really! When folks have great shows of flowers and herbs, they're outside a lot, caring for their plants. If you ask for a little cutting off of an herb, 99% of the time, they'll give it to you, along with many more.
I like to do that - I still have a geranium from a cutting I got from a lady 12 years ago. And, I've given it to many people too, since it's so unique (looks more like a hot pink mulit-petaled rose).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom