"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Cook

Pudding and stuffing?

I am trying to make/fined a homemade recipe that doesn't use any fat to make pudding. I know the jell O pudding pre-mix boxes somehow do it with adding just skim milk. And on the jell O pudding packages I see they really are only using cornstarch + coloring + flavoring ...etc

I have tried 2 cups of skim milk , 1/2 cup of unrefined sugar , and about 3 tbsp of cornstarch.

What I did is heat the milk then gradually put in the cornstarch + sugar nothing happened to thicken so I put it in the refrigerator. Nothing so far and it has been in there for 30 minutes. The only thing I can think of is I heated the milk to high or stirred the cornstarch to much.

The second question is how from scratch using only natural products can you make stuffing with no or very low fat. I really want to know how to make great tasting homemade/from scratch stuffing that has zero fat and uses no unnatural/chemical product only organic or foods found in nature.

Is there any recipes you guys know of for this.
I mean I know bread , spice/herbs , 2 tbsp butter , veg , chicken or beef or turkey , cream / grave ...etc are the common recipe ingrediants if one was to do it homemade/from scratch is there any way to eliminate the butter ,cream...fat etc etc completely with out adding unnatural fat substitutes

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

for the stuffing, you can make a seriously low fat one like we do.

cubed stale bread, diced apples, diced onions, sliced cremini mushrooms, dried herbs, crumbled and browned 93/7 turkey sausage, and fat free turkey stock.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Cook

ok any reason why my pudding's won't come out.
I want make fat free organic/natural pudding I know once I get the technique that I am missing I will be able to make the different types like chocolate (cocoa), vanilla (vanilla bean or extract ) , raisberry ,...etc etc

And if I don't want to use cornstarch how much flour do I need in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
cubed stale bread, diced apples, diced onions, sliced cremini mushrooms, dried herbs, crumbled and browned 93/7 turkey sausage, and fat free turkey stock.
And how do you make it with these ingredients just simmer all the ingredients in a pan until they come together or bake them in the oven until they come together... just curious about how much time ...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you following a recipe for the pudding? Maybe there isn't enough cornstarch. I would not use flour in place of corn starch.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Regarding the cornstarch pudding; it is your technique. I suggest you buy several cookbooks that explain chemisty in the kitchen. I don't have the patience to explain the procedures of cooking with cornstarch. Cookbooks can do it much better than I.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Master Chef

You dont add cornstarch directly to the liquid like that.

You need to make a slurry with the cornstarch and cold milk and whisk that into the hot milk.

And you likely need more cornstarch.

Stuffing usually is pretty low fat.

Doesnt usually use cream or gravy. Stale bread, herbs, fruit and/or vegetables, broth or stock and some butter or oil.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
What I did is heat the milk then gradually put in the cornstarch + sugar nothing happened to thicken so I put it in the refrigerator. Nothing so far and it has been in there for 30 minutes. The only thing I can think of is I heated the milk to high or stirred the cornstarch to much.
You need to add the cornstarch to cold liquid and then heat it until it thickens. Usually this happens once it reaches the boiling point.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Master Chef

If you don't mind the little bit of fat found in egg yolks, custards are the pre-curser to modern puddings. They involve heating a flavored milk to the boiling point, but and then backing off the heat just a little. After separating the egg, beat the yolk until smooth. Ladle a half-cup of the hot milk into the yolk to "temper" it. Pour the yolk/milk mexture back into the pan with hot milk. Remove from heat. Stir until the mixture thickens to the desired consistency. If it's not thick enough, repeat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Cook

Ok I will try that , that was what my problem was probably.

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

On the packet of one of those jell O boxes it say's packet will not set if soy milk is used. (why is that , is there something with cornstarch and a certain type of milk it goes with.... and if so what type of milks can you uses /which shouldn't you uses?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ok I will try that , that was what my problem was probably.

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

On the packet of one of those jell O boxes it say's packet will not set if soy milk is used. (why is that , is there something with cornstarch and a certain type of milk it goes with.... and if so what type of milks can you uses /which shouldn't you uses?
Milk is a mammal product. The fake stuff isn't real milk.

Tags
pudding, stuffing