Pumpkin butter uses and recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DumbSheila

Assistant Cook
My husband and I went to a farm today a few towns over that makes homemade cheeses, jams, and butter. I bought a jar of pumpkin butter bc it sounded so good!! Only I don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas? Obviously toast is the most obvious choice but I'd like to try to cook with it (but nothing too complicated, as I'm a complete amateur) if I can.

Ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

In addition to using it as a spread it makes a fantastic glaze for pork loin.

Here's my recipe:

1 quart plumpkin puree
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp powdered cloves

Mix all ingredients over a low fire. Simmer until thick, stirring frequently to avoid scroching.

To make the puree, you can either roast the pumpkin or boil it. I prefer roasting, because boiling adds additional moisture, which has to be cooked off.

FWIW: USDA recommends against home canning of pumpkin butter. Most people I know ignore that warning, but you should know about it.

Thanks! I had no idea about the pumpkin butter canning stuff. Why is that? It's from an actual company (just looking at it, I see it's made in Maryland and the farm we went to just sells it...I thought they made it on site but I guess I was wrong!).

The pork tenderloin sounds so good. I wonder if my husband will like it.

For the pumpkin purée, what do you get? pumpkin pie filling? Or something different? I have no idea about pumpkin stuff outside of the filling.

Pumpkin puree is merely cooked pumpkin that's been mashed or blended into a puree.

You can peel the pumpkin, cut it in hunks, and boil it until soft. Or, to roast it, cut the pumpkin in halve (or smaller pieces if it's really big). Lay them cut-side down on a sheet pan. Add a little water, and bake at 375F until the flesh is very soft. When cool enough to handle, scrape the flesh off the rind and mash it well.

You could buy canned pumpkin puree. But that's an expensive way to go, IMO. If pumpkin isn't available, just go with butternut or other winter squash. The end result will be the same.

The difference between commercial canning and home canning is that you cannot, even with a pressure canner, reach the temperatures they do. According to USDA, the density of pumpkin butter varies so much that you cannot assure that the middle of the jars reaches the proper temperature for safe preservation.

But don't buy pie filling. Puree should be just pumpkin with no spices. Your pumpkin butter undoubtedly has spices already in it. Try spreading it on some bar cookies.

Back
Top Bottom