Pumpkin Pie...grrrrrrr!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Butternut squash is actually better than a lot of pumpkins, it is much closer to what is used for canned pumpkin. Butternut squash had the right flavor and color and is much easier to process, less seeds and more flesh.
Yes, I use butternut squash quite a lot

In these parts, canned pumpkin disappears from the shelves right after January 1st. until fall. There are only a very few farms that grow just the little ones for canning. And their whole crop is dedicated or Libby or One Pie. A couple of years ago, there was a shortage around here. I had to go to the church to get a couple of cans so I could make the pumpkin bread for the fair. And that was around the beginning of November. There wasn't one can to be found in any store. They came in just a couple of days before Thanksgiving.

When you go pumpkin picking, you have to locate the area where the small ones have been planted. And as a rule, if you are going to be baking, then you know where they are. There are no children in that patch. :angel:
Pumpkin bread? Please could we have your recipe?

I add one cup of dried cranberries to mine. And sometimes crushed walnuts. But for the Fair I always have to label the ones with the nuts. It makes more work for me as I have to do them in two different batches. I make the ones that are sans the nuts first so that there isn't even a piece of nut dust in the air. Then they are wrapped securely and place in a separate bag. I don't even let them in the area near the nut ones. :angel:

This is the one that I use, no changes exactly as written. I've sold hundreds of these. Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Yum. Thanks. I'll try this on my next cake stall. In fact, I owe one of my Horse Fairies a cake. (My "Horse Fairies" are my secret helpers at the stables.) Might have a go next weekend.

She's allergic to nuts so I'll leave them out this time, Addie, but will add them to a later batch.

Are you a re-incarnation of my Mother? She used to keep food store overflows in her bedroom cupboard too :ROFLMAO:

Just pumpkin and evaporated milk, because it's cheap in the fall. I need to dig it out. When my Dad was a kid he kept canned Kadota Figs in a drawer of his dresser.

Another vote for butternut squash. But don't tell your picky kids--if they don't know, they will scarf it down as pumpkin pie. (You made that with SQUASH!!! I am NOT eating pie made out of SQUASH, I want PUMPKIN pie!!!)

You can buy lots of interesting squashes this time of year, and almost all of them make better pie than the standard jack-o-lantern type of pumpkin, which tends to be stringy and watery.

Last week I made a pumpkin pie using a fresh pumpkin, and added only 1/2 cup Splenda sugar substitute.....YUCK! it tasted strange, almost metallic, but more veggie than sweet.
Back to brown sugar I go.

as for your pie, I'd try the cream cheese solution....then let us know! I had a piece of pumpkin cheesecake awhile ago, and it was delicious.

Another vote for butternut squash. But don't tell your picky kids--if they don't know, they will scarf it down as pumpkin pie. (You made that with SQUASH!!! I am NOT eating pie made out of SQUASH, I want PUMPKIN pie!!!)

You can buy lots of interesting squashes this time of year, and almost all of them make better pie than the standard jack-o-lantern type of pumpkin, which tends to be stringy and watery.
We don't get a lot of choice although I did see some patty pans in the greengrocers window the other day but I was in too much of a hurry to stop.

Last week I made a pumpkin pie using a fresh pumpkin, and added only 1/2 cup Splenda sugar substitute.....YUCK! it tasted strange, almost metallic, but more veggie than sweet.
Back to brown sugar I go.

as for your pie, I'd try the cream cheese solution....then let us know! I had a piece of pumpkin cheesecake awhile ago, and it was delicious.

I make a pumpkin cheesecake with a ginger snap cookie crust for Christmas. I make a big one. Believe me when I say my daughter has to hide it or it will be gone before they even sit down to dinner.

I don't find fresh pumpkin to be stringy at all. You have to know the kind of pumpkin that is suitable for eating. Some folks put their pumpkins in the oven and others steam them. I have a large soup pot and with a small amount of steam they soften quickly. I only process the small ones. Some use the microwave to soften them for processing.

By John Greenleaf Whittier
Ah! on Thanksday, when from East and from West,
From North and from South comes the pilgrim and guest;
When the gray-haired New Englander sees round his board
The old broken links of affection restored;
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before;
What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye,
What calls back the past, like the rich Pumpkin pie?

:angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom