Pumpkin Spice Season 2017, the good, the bad and the crazy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
It's that time again. I'm seeing new Pumpkin Spice signs and ads popping up. From drinks to potato chips, and who knows what else.

Just for fun, I thought I'd start a thread for DC members to list Pumpkin Spice products that are good, bad, and just plain crazy.

Sounds good: Ghirardelli Halloween Pumpkin Spice Caramel Squares

Sounds bad: Simply Beyond Pumpkin Spice Spray-on Spice

Possibly crazy: Züpa Noma Pumpkin Cinnamon Sage Soup

Crazy: Native pumpkin spice latte-scented deodorant

CD

We had a challenge last year for dishes made with pumpkin/winter squash. We are not fans of pumpkins so there won't be any "pumpkin spice" anything for us.

I am completely turned off by the pumpkin spice mania and refuse to eat or drink anything pumpkin spice unless it's my own pie.

This has become marketing bonanza and will be over hyped until it dies. Sort of like using Oreos as an ingredient in everything.

A year or two ago, I was in the checkout line at the grocery store and saw a pumpkin-spice baby chew. I took a photo and posted it with a sarcastic comment on Facebook. Turns out a friend of mine had bought one for her child :shock: :ROFLMAO: Good thing she has a good sense of humor [emoji38]

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's... I'm NOT a big fan of pumpkin flavored food, other than pie..

Here is a selection of TJ's pumpkin season offerings.. or as I call it, gag me with a spoon products..(60 items) :ermm:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/pumpkin-products-at-trader-joes

Ross

Holy cow! :ohmy: Waaaaay overkill. I love pumpkin pie once or twice a year if someone else makes it :LOL:, but all this hype has gone overboard. Also rather tired of walking into little gift shops this time of year and being overwhelmed with the scent of burning pumpkin spice candles.

Holy cow! :ohmy: Waaaaay overkill. I love pumpkin pie once or twice a year if someone else makes it :LOL:, but all this hype has gone overboard. Also rather tired of walking into little gift shops this time of year and being overwhelmed with the scent of burning pumpkin spice candles.

Hey, you can take that scent for a ride in your car...

Attachments

• CarJar.jpg
    CarJar.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 160
Apples mean fall to me not pumpkin spice! I use "pumpkin spice" in my pie at Thanksgiving and that's it. Anything else is so unappetizing.

We get a craving for pumpkin pie, every so often.. I will pick one up for our card game night with friends now and then.. :yum:

I'm still searching for a small batch recipe to make a pumpkin pie in my 7 inch pie tin.. I'll come across one eventually.. :ermm:

Ross

I hope you find one, Ross. I enjoy pumpkin pie but rarely buy them, because I'm only one person here and could never finish one. I guess I could give some to the elders across the street, come to think of it, they would probably like that. :)

I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's... I'm NOT a big fan of pumpkin flavored food, other than pie..

Here is a selection of TJ's pumpkin season offerings.. or as I call it, gag me with a spoon products..(60 items) :ermm:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/pumpkin-products-at-trader-joes

Ross

In our local Trader Joe's I've seen all of these items,
except for the Pumpkin Jo-Jo's ... :shock::sick::yuk:
No, I don't think that particular item will come home with me.

And +10,
the only way I like Pumpkin Spice in a pie,
and unfortunately, I'm the only one who likes that,
so I only get Pumpkin Pie if it's on a menu or at someone
else's home.

K-Girl, do you have Table Talk Pies in the stores by you? The do have a pumpkin pie but, oddly enough, it has a crust lid. :huh: I've never seen a double-crust pumpkin pie before this.

...Also rather tired of walking into little gift shops this time of year and being overwhelmed with the scent of burning pumpkin spice candles.
I'd like to take every one of those cinnamon brooms that are on display in the produce section and shove them...:mad:

...I'm still searching for a small batch recipe to make a pumpkin pie in my 7 inch pie tin.. I'll come across one eventually...
I'm going to guess that you need about 2/3 of the can of pumpkin puree for the 7" pan, right? You can use that leftover 1/2 cup of pumpkin for 4 muffins, or maybe one of these ideas from The Kitchn is more appealing: 10 Ways to Use the Last 1/2 Cup of Pumpkin Puree.

I like 3 pumpkin pie spice things:
Coffeemate flavored creamer
Dannon Light & Fit Pumpkin Pie Greek Yogurt
Pumpkin Pie Spice Cheerio's

I'm going to guess that you need about 2/3 of the can of pumpkin puree for the 7" pan, right? You can use that leftover 1/2 cup of pumpkin for 4 muffins, or maybe one of these ideas from The Kitchn is more appealing: 10 Ways to Use the Last 1/2 Cup of Pumpkin Puree.

Good thinking, CG....

I'm not a wasteful guy but if I find a filling recipe I want to make, I'm not above tossing the remainder if I don't have another use for it..
I just have to make certain that Jeannie isn't looking, as she throws nothing away.. :LOL:

I just try my best to find recipes to fit my smaller baking tins, etc..

Ross

Last edited:
MAKE YOUR OWN PUMPKIN SPICE COFFEE DRINKS

Pumpkin-3pk-50ml.jpg

This stuff is delicious, but it is highly concentrated and you need surprising little to make the perfect pumpkin spice beverage. In fact when Amoretti first put it on the market, customers were complaining about how potent it was. I had to do a lot of experimentation to get the right quantity to make the flavor like the coffee shop beverages.

Last edited:
Good thinking, CG....

I'm not a wasteful guy but if I find a filling recipe I want to make, I'm not above tossing the remainder if I don't have another use for it..
I just have to make certain that Jeannie isn't looking, as she throws nothing away.. :LOL:

I just try my best to find recipes to fit my smaller baking tins, etc..

Ross

Emailed my fave blogger and she sent me her 7" pumpkin tart recipe... A little modification and I will have a small pumpkin pie, any time I want one... :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom