Puppy treats/dog biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I made these for my dog once and he loved them. They are healty too!

Puppy Treats

(2) 4 ounce jars of chicken baby food
1/4 cup dried milk
1/2 cup wheat germ

Mix, shape into a bone if you like, and bake at 350 degrees until brown. Cool and serve.

Dog Biscuits

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. garlic
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 stick soft margarine

1. Mix egg, garlic, margarine, and molasses in a bowl.

2. Add flour, then milk ( a little at a time).

3. Roll out to 3/8" thick. Use cookie cutters and make as many as you can.

4. Place treats on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 minutes or til brown. Cool and serve.

My little beagle had a bad ticker and couldn't have much sodium, so I always made him home made biscuits. They were much like these recipes.

When he smelled them baking he ran to the kitchen and sat in front of the oven patiently till they were done and he could have some.:)
Dogs do love garlic and baby food!

Wow, thanks! I will have to try this for our Shelby.
I cook for her about once a week, rice, ground turkey or chicken, carrots/peas, ground flax seed, olive oil, powderd milk. The vet says this is okay. I'm thinking of adding fish-oil capsules (but I'll give her that separately).
I have been mixing one cup of the cooked food with one cup of Iams dry food, once a day. Shelby is a golden retriever, weighs 75 lbs. Last week, I found out (through a friend of mine who subscribes to PETA and other anti-cruelty-to-animal websites) that Iams performs cruel tests on the animals for whom it purports to care. I haven't checked this out thoroughly, though.

hmmm i think i'll have to try this for rocky.
pig ears are getting exspensive, and it's
pretty gross when there's still hair on them
sometimes !

jenny i wasn't aware but thank you. the article said they were sold at petsmart which i don't shop at anyway, but it's still nice to know about. thank you so much

middie said:
hmmm i think i'll have to try this for rocky.
pig ears are getting exspensive, and it's
pretty gross when there's still hair on them
sometimes !

I can relate Middie, my dog loves pigs ears, but I had to shy away from them because he was getting too heavy, and had to change his diet. So I use a dry dog food, nothing canned anymore because that was too fatty for him, and we walk him alot more. I think I treat my dog better than me:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

But if we're walking them we're treating ourselves good too!

Gidgett was spayed today so she is very much under the weather - it cost more than $400! I think we will be seeking another vet!

Of course she is milking it for all it's worth - since I'm a wimp it's worth alot!

I'll try these for her!

Thanks for posting!

Are they suppose to be soft? Or am I not cooking them long enough?
I cooked both :eek:)
They liked the wheat germ ones soft, they aren't too picky anyway. The molasses ones are a little soft too. They're kinda rubbery. Is that right or no?

I don't think I'll be bitten by a vampire for a while:LOL: the garlic is strong.

They should be hard. They may harden after you take them out of the oven. Basically they should be brown on top, if they dont harden, stick them back in the oven for a few more minutes.

The dog biscuits should be hard, the puppy treats I havent made in ages, so I cannot remember if those were suppose to be soft, but since your dogs like them, I guess thats the best.:)

Last edited:
They did harden up a little after cooling off.
Oh well, the babies love them. I'm not sure which one they like best.

Oh yeah, my kids are ticked off because they don't get any homemade cookies:LOL:
I told them go ahead, it wouldn't kill them:ROFLMAO:

texasgirl said:
They did harden up a little after cooling off.
Oh well, the babies love them. I'm not sure which one they like best.

Oh yeah, my kids are ticked off because they don't get any homemade cookies:LOL:
I told them go ahead, it wouldn't kill them:ROFLMAO:

Your right there, kids and adults could probably eat these biscuits:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

RE: the garlic in the recipe
some people believe that dogs should never be fed garlic. onions and garlic, especially onions, contain a substance called thiosulphate that can lead to anemia in dogs. garlic has much less thiosulphate than onions, but it is still the subject of some debate as many pet treats etc. contain small amounts of garlic for flavor. .. some believe that no amount is safe, esp. in the long term. either way, large amounts of garlic should be avoided and onions should never be fed to dogs, this includes leftovers containing onions. i would leave the garlic out of the recipe myself... do a google on garlic and dogs and you will come up with pages of stuff about garlic/onion toxicity in dogs.

I've read that "large" quantities may cause toxicity in pets (dogs and cats), but the tiny amount in these biscuits shouldnt cause a problem, especially if you dont give them biscuits often. These are meant to be a treat every now and then. It's good that you mentioned it though HappyAvocado. I certainly dont want anyone to have a sick pet! I guess when in doubt, call your vet to be sure of the amount of garlic that is suitable for pets given their weight, etc.

Back
Top Bottom