"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Pureed/Soft food for Grownups? (wisdom teeth)

I'm having all 4 wisdom teeth extracted soon & doc said with all the bone blocking them, I'd better plan to be eating pureed foods for 2-3 days and soft foods for a couple days after that, at least. He said I may be up and running sooner, but plan for it jic. Amazingly enough, several days of mashed potatoes, ice cream, and smoothies doesn't sound very appealing to me. I'm sure before the first 24 hours have gone I'll either be tired of getting hungry every 2 hours or I'll have one heck of a tummy ache, possibly both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd especially love ideas that include some protein, so I'm not hungry and in pain all day. With a toddler and an infant at home (DH will be there to help the first day, of course) I'd love some ideas of things I can make in advance. Here's what I've got planned so far:

Pureed foods:
Butternut squash soup
Smoothies with tofu blended in, Ice cream, and Mashed potatoes (I didn't say not at all, just not only. )
Greek Yogurt
Hot cereal (cooled, of course)
Soft foods:
Butternut squash bran muffins
Cheese (Regular and cottage)
Bread with PB
Soft flatbread with hummus

I'd prefer fairly healthy, but any suggestions are appreciated. Remember protein gets bonus points! Oh, and it's gotta taste good tepid; I'm supposed to avoid hot for a bit.
I'm pretty un-picky, and so is dd (since she'll likely be eating whatever I eat). I wonder how creative people will get.

P.S Since most people have had this done, if there's anything you tried to eat after yours that was definitely a bad idea, please share!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Not much protein in it, but I always find Potato Leek soup very comforting when I have mouth pains.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Excellent idea, and perfect for the chilly weather!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cheese and potato soup...a little protein and it can be pureed at first and left a bit lumpy for later. I think it tastes good tepid.

Over cook pasta to past al dente and it's easier on you. A lot of things are easier to eat or puree in stages if it's over cooked. I've done deconstructed lasagna, chopping the over cooked noodles to make small bites. Even tuna salad can be pureed, add a little extra pickle juice or mayo/mw to make it smooth.

I don't envy you getting over the mouth pain. Take care. And chocolate milk tastes good, made with skim milk you get some protein, too!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Head Chef

First thing I thought of was a cheese omelet.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Soft scrambled eggs
Cream soups
Chicken and stars soup
pudding
nutella
apple sauce
pear sauce
bananas
baked sweet potatoes
refried beans
pureed cream corn
Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Couldn't you eat whatever you're feeding the little one in your avatar? It's only a few days.
If it was me, once I could eat warm foods, I'd eat mashed potatoes and gravy. I would have no problem eating that for a few days just to get something in my tummy. I'd probably pick up a protein drink mix and some diet pills (appetite suppressants), too.
I've never had my wisdom teeth out, but I wouldn't doubt if something in your brain doesn't tell your mind not to eat for a day or two anyway. The time will probably pass before you know it.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you have eggs you can trust raw: an egg blended with orange juice and milk. I used to have those as a quick breakfast.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you have eggs you can trust raw: an egg blended with orange juice and milk. I used to have those as a quick breakfast.
Back when I used to get bad colds, 20 years ago or so, I would take a glass of OJ, a raw egg and some vitamin C crystals and blend it up. Tasty drink and I felt like it made me feel better. Especially at night when a couple shots of vodka went into it
The raw egg really turned it into something special.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
Master Chef

I'm thinking cream cheese mixed with things like spinach, salmon, etc. You can also make protien rich sandwich spreads from lump crab, surimi (fake crab or lobster), wonton soup, bologna, cotto salami, hot dogs, devilied ham, potted meat, vienna sausage, cheese spreads, or squeeze cheese, pana cotta, puddings, jello, tomato aspic with ground shrimp, pasta with various meat sauces (use soft meats such as meatballs with a bit extra bread crumbs mixed in), chorizo and eggs, coddled eggs, scrambled eggs, egg-foo-yung, egg drop soup, boiled dinner, refried beans with cheese, quinoa pilafs, ralph, hot cereals, creamed veggies, or creamed beef, etc.

Hope that gives yo a few ideas, or at least some inspiration.

Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
food