Pureed/Soft food for Grownups? (wisdom teeth)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I'm having all 4 wisdom teeth extracted soon & doc said with all the bone blocking them, I'd better plan to be eating pureed foods for 2-3 days and soft foods for a couple days after that, at least. He said I may be up and running sooner, but plan for it jic. Amazingly enough, several days of mashed potatoes, ice cream, and smoothies doesn't sound very appealing to me. I'm sure before the first 24 hours have gone I'll either be tired of getting hungry every 2 hours or I'll have one heck of a tummy ache, possibly both. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd especially love ideas that include some protein, so I'm not hungry and in pain all day. With a toddler and an infant at home (DH will be there to help the first day, of course) I'd love some ideas of things I can make in advance. Here's what I've got planned so far:

Pureed foods:
Butternut squash soup
Smoothies with tofu blended in, Ice cream, and Mashed potatoes (I didn't say not at all, just not only. :))
Greek Yogurt
Hot cereal (cooled, of course)
Soft foods:
Butternut squash bran muffins
Cheese (Regular and cottage)
Bread with PB
Soft flatbread with hummus

I'd prefer fairly healthy, but any suggestions are appreciated. Remember protein gets bonus points! Oh, and it's gotta taste good tepid; I'm supposed to avoid hot for a bit.
I'm pretty un-picky, and so is dd (since she'll likely be eating whatever I eat). I wonder how creative people will get. :)

P.S Since most people have had this done, if there's anything you tried to eat after yours that was definitely a bad idea, please share!

Last edited:
Not much protein in it, but I always find Potato Leek soup very comforting when I have mouth pains.

Cheese and potato soup...a little protein and it can be pureed at first and left a bit lumpy for later. I think it tastes good tepid.

Over cook pasta to past al dente and it's easier on you. A lot of things are easier to eat or puree in stages if it's over cooked. I've done deconstructed lasagna, chopping the over cooked noodles to make small bites. Even tuna salad can be pureed, add a little extra pickle juice or mayo/mw to make it smooth.

I don't envy you getting over the mouth pain. Take care. And chocolate milk tastes good, made with skim milk you get some protein, too!

Soft scrambled eggs
Cream soups
Chicken and stars soup
pudding
nutella
apple sauce
pear sauce
bananas
baked sweet potatoes
refried beans
pureed cream corn

Couldn't you eat whatever you're feeding the little one in your avatar? It's only a few days.
If it was me, once I could eat warm foods, I'd eat mashed potatoes and gravy. I would have no problem eating that for a few days just to get something in my tummy. I'd probably pick up a protein drink mix and some diet pills (appetite suppressants), too.
I've never had my wisdom teeth out, but I wouldn't doubt if something in your brain doesn't tell your mind not to eat for a day or two anyway. The time will probably pass before you know it.

If you have eggs you can trust raw: an egg blended with orange juice and milk. I used to have those as a quick breakfast.

If you have eggs you can trust raw: an egg blended with orange juice and milk. I used to have those as a quick breakfast.

Back when I used to get bad colds, 20 years ago or so, I would take a glass of OJ, a raw egg and some vitamin C crystals and blend it up. Tasty drink and I felt like it made me feel better. Especially at night when a couple shots of vodka went into it :)
The raw egg really turned it into something special.

I'm thinking cream cheese mixed with things like spinach, salmon, etc. You can also make protien rich sandwich spreads from lump crab, surimi (fake crab or lobster), wonton soup, bologna, cotto salami, hot dogs, devilied ham, potted meat, vienna sausage, cheese spreads, or squeeze cheese, pana cotta, puddings, jello, tomato aspic with ground shrimp, pasta with various meat sauces (use soft meats such as meatballs with a bit extra bread crumbs mixed in), chorizo and eggs, coddled eggs, scrambled eggs, egg-foo-yung, egg drop soup, boiled dinner, refried beans with cheese, quinoa pilafs, ralph, hot cereals, creamed veggies, or creamed beef, etc.

Hope that gives yo a few ideas, or at least some inspiration.

Goodweed of the North

If you have a food processor, just about anything can be a pureed food. Try it with some leftovers before the big day to get an idea. Roast chicken, rice pilaf and steamed asparagus - toss it all in the FP and take it for a ride.

Chili, beef (or lamb or chicken) stew and soups (not just cream soups) are all good candidates for the FP.

I hope the pain part goes away very quickly for you sprout.

I always make whatever meal I want, then put it into the food processor until its thin enough to just swallow without chewing. If it's a meal like; Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green-beans and cobbler, I put the meatloaf and taters into one batch, then the green beans into another and the cobbler into one by itself.

I get the ABC (already been chewed) food in the same exact flavors I would have, but no chewing! Kinda like adult baby food. :ROFLMAO:

My best wishes for fast healing and low pain. Get well soon! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Sorry Sprout! I had all 4 pulled at once too several years back, and I bought out the store shelves of Jello... only to find that I wasn't much into Jello. Ice cream kept me sustained for a while, and I can go through a jar of Nutella like nobody's business.
How bout a creamy mushroom soup? Smoothies, hot chocolate (add in cayenne and cinnamon for more antioxidants), polenta, savory bread pudding baked more as a custard and if all else fails, chicken broth is good for the soul! :)

Thanks for the well-wishes and suggestions! Lots of great ideas.

Pacanis, the little one in my avatar is 2 now. It's an old picture. I believe when that pic was taken she was already chewing pretty well, too. She got her chompers pretty early.

Andy & Timothy, I don't have a food processor, but I have a blender. Will that work, too?

Taxlady, I'm not sure I can trust my eggs; they have shifty eyes... :D

Ahhhh... I was thinking the spoon for you, spoon for me, lol.
Cute picture.

...Andy & Timothy, I don't have a food processor, but I have a blender. Will that work, too?...

It's harder to puree solids in a blender. You can do it but often have to add liquid to get the blender to do the job.

I don't know if I could handle most of these suggestions. You must have a strong stomach for some of these.

gently cook some farina--with milk (any %) is the tastiest and most filling, but w/water is very good too. brown 1-2 tablespoons of butter to a rich, deep brown color, pour into your serving bowl over the hot farina. for a sweet farina (and a wonderful taste treat) bury wells of brown sugar in the farina in several places with a teaspoon--and/or your favorite fruit or berry preserves. mmmm--this delicious and quick comfort food needs no excuse, (like a sore mouth) to show up at your table, but would be a kind and soothing choice in such an instance....:)

Back
Top Bottom