"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The potato holds the tip of the probe off the grill grate. It the probe touches a too hot surface, it destroys the probe. Using the potato allows you to get the temp reading right where the food is. Some probe thermometers come with a clip you can fasten to the rim of the grill and arrange the probe in the same area.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've seen pictures of grilling/smoking and most pics show a thermometer stuck in a potato...Why?

Will someone explain this to me?
Using a small potato is simply a convenient way to hold and position the probe right at grate level.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Using a small potato is simply a convenient way to hold and position the probe right at grate level.
Doesn't the potato itself reach the same temperature? Is it inedible when the grilling is done?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Doesn't the potato itself reach the same temperature? Is it inedible when the grilling is done?
It depends on how long it's in there. Temp measurements are around the tip of the probe. You would push the probe through the potato so it sticks out beyond the potato by several inches so it's reading the air temp. The potato can be eaten.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It depends on how long it's in there. Temp measurements are around the tip of the probe. You would push the probe through the potato so it sticks out beyond the potato by several inches so it's reading the air temp. The potato can be eaten.
No potato sacrifice...all's good

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

Another way to measure temp at grate level is to use a long stemmed fryer thermometer through the vent hole. Problem with this is sometimes the food can get in the way of the long stem.

It's important to measure temp at grate level because the temp can greatly vary within the kettle. I've seen temp variances of 50F or more between grate level and lid top.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

heres a pic of my Q

do you think spare ribs can give me the braising effect/.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Aww c'mon guys... we could have had some fun with the potato thing

Good looking pic, Hyper.
Next time, regardless of the guideline time frame you are following, use a few of the tips mentioned in the other thread to check for doneness.
Once you do it a few times you'll get a feel for things. And there would be nothing wrong with finishing those in the oven if you shut things down on your kettle and just wanted to eat in thirty minutes. Assuming they were waaaay underdone, it looks like they picked up some smoke anyway.

You never mentioned your rub. Was there anything with salt in it?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Aww c'mon guys... we could have had some fun with the potato thing

Good looking pic, Hyper.
Next time, regardless of the guideline time frame you are following, use a few of the tips mentioned in the other thread to check for doneness.
Once you do it a few times you'll get a feel for things. And there would be nothing wrong with finishing those in the oven if you shut things down on your kettle and just wanted to eat in thirty minutes. Assuming they were waaaay underdone, it looks like they picked up some smoke anyway.

You never mentioned your rub. Was there anything with salt in it?
weird thing is , though it was very salty yesterday, when I ate it today for lunch, it wasn't too salty at all and was almost perfect??? how did it lose its saltiness lol.

yea I see the pink part of the meat that looks like smokerings. if it was just a little blander then it would be perfect for me as baby back ribs (I guess I had the wrong expectation yesterday. i looked up some baby back ribs pictures and they all look like mine).

my rub contains a small amount of salt, and I tasted the rub and thought it wasn't salty enough so I sprinkled more salt on the rib. I did that because I remember Ann from FN put lots of salt on her rib.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Best tasting ribs to me are the ones you can get at many NYC Chinese restaurants. My experience at an Army picnic left me with a lasting impression; the troops got barbecued ribs & chicken and the post commander got a steak. Most all of the beef available at that post came from Yugoslavia and was far from USDA Prime.