"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
I've made mayonnaise for years in my food processor and never had it break and it always emulsifies. I make a quart at a time - 3 yolks to 24 oz. oil. You added your oil slowly, so I don't see what might have happened.
you beat me to it, Jean! I was about to say the same thing.

The only time I've ever had a mayo break was when I used eggs that were too cold, or when I tried a different recipe. (so I don't do either any more!)

Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I knew you guys would come to the rescue. I can't wait to try this again. It was really delicious with the lobster meat anyway though Now it will be even better!!!

Thanks again guys!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I just found this thread and looks like you already got proper advices to make your sauce better... Just one more reminder, though I am quite sure you know that already, with a sauce like this make sure your egg is super fresh, preferably within one day of its production... fresher the better!!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
Master Chef

While the small amount of oil "might" have been a problem (although I don't know why) ... the biggest problem that causes an emulsion to break is generally adding more oil than the egg can hold in suspension (emulsify) ... the original recipe should have worked ... except you used the wrong tool, especially for the small quantity. A "Food Processsor" is good for cutting, chopping, grating, etc. - but not designed for a small amount of mayo - the blades don't come into contact with the ingredients enough - and it's not designed to create enough of a vortex to properly mix the ingredients.

While you might be able to do this with success in a FP, as cjs says - compare the difference in quantity ... big difference in how 3/4 cup and 1 quart will be handled by a FP.

A "blender" has a different configuration, runs at a higher RMP - it would have done the job. You could have also placed all of the ingredients into a 1-pint Mason Jar all at once and then used a "stick blender" (even higher RPM than an average blender) - it would have worked - and taken about a minute or so at most.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you all again - I have learned a valuable lesson in mayo making!!!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Master Chef

I think the Elfen Goddess of the Kitchen knows me well enough by now to know that I will ask a question like this .... while wearing my pasta strainer on my head for minimal protection from her "big wooden spoon" blows ....

What did the recipe say to do KE?

You've got me curious .....
Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
While the small amount of oil "might" have been a problem (although I don't know why) ... the biggest problem that causes an emulsion to break is generally adding more oil than the egg can hold in suspension (emulsify) ...
Mike, while too much oil can saturate the yolk and cause the sauce to break, too little oil will cause an unbalance in the lecithin/fat ratio needed to emulsify the egg and the oil. You need a minimum of 6 oz. of oil per egg yolk to properly emusify any sauce of this nature, be it mayo or hollandaise. 7 to 8 oz. will give you a thicker, richer mayo and may potentially be subject to breakage, but more so if you're trying to do it by hand because it's harder to disperse the oil quickly with the egg. It should be fine as long as you're using a mechanical device of some sort and you're adding the oil in slowly.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
What did the recipe say to do KE?
1 cup of oil, 2 egg yolks, 2 TBS lemon juice, I added some fresh tarragon - but I reduced the recipe by half, which in turn made everything impossible to break down properly while in my big food processor.

ROFLMAO - they forgot to take back my admin/mod uniform - this is the one you are referring to??????? Yes, you better be wearing it!!!!

Sorry, I missed the class on reducing the size of a picture!!!!!