Question about canned chicken soups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have a can of soup for lunch almost everyday, choosing the ones that are low in calories and fat.
I'm one of those people that always read the ingredients on the can, and I've noticed that a lot of the chicken (and some other) soups contain apple juice.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why this would be? Could it be that the pectin in the apple juice helps thicken the soup, or do you think it's used for it's natural sugars. Or what? I would never have thought of adding apple juice to soup.

I'm not sure... but.. now I have to get up and go grab a can of chicken soup and read it. lol

Really, apple juice, that is interesting. I'll have to see it for my self too.

I have no idea why that would be. I'm sure somebody here should be able to figure it out.

Connie,
my understanding is when fat is removed it also removes a lot of flavor, so one of the first things put in is sugar why I have no idea, as there are many things that promote flavor, I guess sugar is faster and cheaper:LOL: ..I've noticed this in most low or no fat foods.
kadesma:)

Humm ... okay give us a clue ... what brand?

I've never added sugar to chicken soup (maybe I've been missing out on something all this time?) Your idea that it might be used as a thickener in low-cal soups might have some merit - it would certainly have fewer calories than a good chicken stock, or one thickened with a starch. But then, as kadesma said - it might be a low salt flavor enhancer.

Did they also use corn syrup? or is the apple juice the only sweetener. If it's a sub for corn syrup, that's a good thing. :) but I still wouldn't put it in MY chicken soup! :rolleyes:

kadesma said:
Connie,
my understanding is when fat is removed it also removes a lot of flavor, so one of the first things put in is sugar why I have no idea, as there are many things that promote flavor, I guess sugar is faster and cheaper:LOL: ..I've noticed this in most low or no fat foods.

I, actually, use sugar in cooking a lot, maybe not in soups, since I do not remove fat, but things like grilled chicken or beef, or veggies, or spaghetti sauce - I always add some sugar.

CharlieD said:
I, actually, use sugar in cooking a lot, maybe not in soups, since I do not remove fat, but things like grilled chicken or beef, or veggies, or spaghetti sauce - I always add some sugar.
I use some for certain things too Charlie, it picks up the flavor as salt does..So, I feel this is why it's added to many low or no fat foods..Flavor enhancement.

Michael, these are primarily Campbell's Chunky soups.
There is no corn syrup, ChefJune.

One of my favorites is the Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables, but there are a lot of good ones. I figure the soup is healther than a lunchmeat sandwich.

One of their soups that is NOT lowfat, but that is really yummy is the Smoked Chicken and Corn Chowder. I wouldn't be ashamed to serve it to company.

Back
Top Bottom