"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Avoid using the big name brands. They will be too salty and full of poison preservatives. Instead, go to your local health food market and find the low or non-sodium organic alternative. The trip and price difference is worth it.
At a good 2½ hours from the nearest health food market, I'll pass on that.

I make from scratch when it's reasonable, and I take shortcuts when that's reasonable. I don't eat processed and preserved 100%, but I also don't go that far out of my way to avoid it either.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Avoid using the big name brands. They will be too salty and full of poison preservatives. Instead, go to your local health food market and find the low or non-sodium organic alternative. The trip and price difference is worth it.
I don't believe that health food and organic food stores are synonymous with "low budget". There is a reason they call it "Whole Paycheck".

Old 02-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Big-name brands have low- and sodium-free options and preservatives are certainly not poisonous. Geez.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Yes, the preservatives are, in some cases, poisonous. Why do you think they kill bacteria. Reading the preservatives list on the label and researching them will tell you otherwise. And I'm just offering a word of caution, not preaching.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, the preservatives are, in some cases, poisonous. Why do you think they kill bacteria. Reading the preservatives list on the label and researching them will tell you otherwise. And I'm just offering a word of caution, not preaching.
We take medications to kill bacteria too. Maybe instead of going to the doctor for a shot or a prescription, just eat a can of Campbell's soup. Mm-mm good!
Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Umm, people are not bacteria. I have done the research, which is why I said what I did. Salt, sugar and acids like vinegar are preservatives. They're certainly not poisonous, in reasonable amounts.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

The "canned creamed soup debate" has gone on for years here and I doubt anyone has ever changed their minds to the other side. The only important constant should be to keep on cooking the way you choose without judgement of others.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The "canned creamed soup debate" has gone on for years here and I doubt anyone has ever changed their minds to the other side. The only important constant should be to keep on cooking the way you choose without judgement of others.
Bravo, bravo!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, recipe as written. The condensed soups come in reduced sodium and lower fat versions. I use the Campbell's healthy request version.

Love the cream of mushroom soup, whether in recipes, or as soup, doctored up or not.
Quick thinking Dawg. Great mind. Good catch!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Sounds good. Ever try Soy-rizo? The flavor is pretty good, but doesn't have much texture. I think I'll try this with Hatch's enchilada sauce instead of the soup, and throw in some pepper jack for the cheesy taste.

THANKS!

Tags
recipe, soup