Question about condensed soup in a recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im pretty sure I know the answer to my own question, but I'd rather ask for reassurance, than try and be a Mr know it all and screw up the recipe.:)

I have a recipe for a ' Mexican lasagna', that calls for a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup and condensed golden mushroom soup. When eating them as 'soup', you add an additional can of milk, water or whatever to reconstitute the soup. Since this is a 'lasagna' and not a ' soup', can I assume that Im just adding the can of condensed soup as is, with no additional liquids to be added other than what is listed in the ingredients ??

***I still am vegetarian, so I've got all the substitutions needed where they apply, Just incase anyone thought I finally hopped the fence on vegetarianism. Im still ' one of them' ;) ***

Recipe Below:
Mexican Lasagna Recipe

1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/4 cup milk
1 package (1 ounce) fajita seasoning mix, divided
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano leaves
12 (5- to 6-inch diameter) corn tortillas
Chopped tomatoes, optional
Sliced green onions, optional

In medium bowl, stir together cheddar cheese soup, milk and half the fajita seasoning, mixing until mixture is smooth.

In skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, crumbling with fork, until browned. Pour off any fat.

Stir mushroom soup, water, chili powder, oregano and remaining fajita seasoning into ground beef, mixing well.

Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

Place 3 tortillas in bottom of a shallow, 2-quart baking dish, overlapping slightly and covering bottom as much as possible.

Spread 1 cup beef mixture over tortillas in dish. Add another layer of 3 tortillas and another cup of beef mixture. Repeat layers with 3 more tortillas and another cup of beef.

Top with remaining tortillas. Spread cheese soup mixture over tortillas.

Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions, if desired. Serve hot. Mexican Lasagna Recipe yields 6 servings.

The 1 recipe that I use condensed soup in, it tells you to mix the soup with a bit of white wine (not the amount of liquid recommended to un-condense the soup). Between the wine, the little drizzle of butter the top gets, and the chicken juices that cook out, it makes a very nice sauce. So, to answer your question, I would just use it straight from the can and do as the recipe instructs.

Do exactly as the recipe says. The point of using condensed soup in recipes is that it is thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use condensed soups often. For one thing they are time savers. I'm not going to make a pot of cream of mushroom soup every time I make a dish that's suited to it. My Mom's meat loaf, one of my favorite comfort foods is topped with cream of mushroom. Same feeling about cream of celery and cream of chicken. I'm not apologizing for it either. :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote is add just the soup as is from the can. But keep in mind, that they will be very salty. So go easy on the salt. The juices from any additions to the recipe will exude their own juices and will help create a lovely sauce. Use a rubber spatula to scrape out every last drop from the cans. :angel:

Yes, recipe as written. The condensed soups come in reduced sodium and lower fat versions. I use the Campbell's healthy request version.

Love the cream of mushroom soup, whether in recipes, or as soup, doctored up or not.

Last edited:
In the early days of my cooking there wasn't such a thing as Golden Mushroom soup or Cheese soup for cooking. I use both of them often now and I think they're terrific.
Personally I would substitute wine for the 1/2 cup of water requested in your recipe, but that's just me.

Avoid using the big name brands. They will be too salty and full of poison preservatives. Instead, go to your local health food market and find the low or non-sodium organic alternative. The trip and price difference is worth it.

Avoid using the big name brands. They will be too salty and full of poison preservatives. Instead, go to your local health food market and find the low or non-sodium organic alternative. The trip and price difference is worth it.

At a good 2½ hours from the nearest health food market, I'll pass on that. ;)

I make from scratch when it's reasonable, and I take shortcuts when that's reasonable. I don't eat processed and preserved 100%, but I also don't go that far out of my way to avoid it either.

I don't believe that health food and organic food stores are synonymous with "low budget".;) There is a reason they call it "Whole Paycheck".:ohmy:

Last edited:
Yes, the preservatives are, in some cases, poisonous. Why do you think they kill bacteria. Reading the preservatives list on the label and researching them will tell you otherwise. And I'm just offering a word of caution, not preaching.

Yes, the preservatives are, in some cases, poisonous. Why do you think they kill bacteria. Reading the preservatives list on the label and researching them will tell you otherwise. And I'm just offering a word of caution, not preaching.

We take medications to kill bacteria too. Maybe instead of going to the doctor for a shot or a prescription, just eat a can of Campbell's soup. Mm-mm good! ;)

Umm, people are not bacteria. I have done the research, which is why I said what I did. Salt, sugar and acids like vinegar are preservatives. They're certainly not poisonous, in reasonable amounts.

Last edited:
The "canned creamed soup debate" has gone on for years here and I doubt anyone has ever changed their minds to the other side. The only important constant should be to keep on cooking the way you choose without judgement of others.

Bravo, bravo!:clap:

Yes, recipe as written. The condensed soups come in reduced sodium and lower fat versions. I use the Campbell's healthy request version.

Love the cream of mushroom soup, whether in recipes, or as soup, doctored up or not.

Quick thinking Dawg. Great mind. Good catch! :angel:

Sounds good. Ever try Soy-rizo? The flavor is pretty good, but doesn't have much texture. I think I'll try this with Hatch's enchilada sauce instead of the soup, and throw in some pepper jack for the cheesy taste.

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom