"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
Head Chef
Question about condensed soup in a recipe

Im pretty sure I know the answer to my own question, but I'd rather ask for reassurance, than try and be a Mr know it all and screw up the recipe.

I have a recipe for a ' Mexican lasagna', that calls for a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup and condensed golden mushroom soup. When eating them as 'soup', you add an additional can of milk, water or whatever to reconstitute the soup. Since this is a 'lasagna' and not a ' soup', can I assume that Im just adding the can of condensed soup as is, with no additional liquids to be added other than what is listed in the ingredients ??

***I still am vegetarian, so I've got all the substitutions needed where they apply, Just incase anyone thought I finally hopped the fence on vegetarianism. Im still ' one of them' ***

Recipe Below:
Mexican Lasagna Recipe

1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/4 cup milk
1 package (1 ounce) fajita seasoning mix, divided
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano leaves
12 (5- to 6-inch diameter) corn tortillas
Chopped tomatoes, optional
Sliced green onions, optional

In medium bowl, stir together cheddar cheese soup, milk and half the fajita seasoning, mixing until mixture is smooth.

In skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, crumbling with fork, until browned. Pour off any fat.

Stir mushroom soup, water, chili powder, oregano and remaining fajita seasoning into ground beef, mixing well.

Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.

Place 3 tortillas in bottom of a shallow, 2-quart baking dish, overlapping slightly and covering bottom as much as possible.

Spread 1 cup beef mixture over tortillas in dish. Add another layer of 3 tortillas and another cup of beef mixture. Repeat layers with 3 more tortillas and another cup of beef.

Top with remaining tortillas. Spread cheese soup mixture over tortillas.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions, if desired. Serve hot. Mexican Lasagna Recipe yields 6 servings.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Head Chef
The 1 recipe that I use condensed soup in, it tells you to mix the soup with a bit of white wine (not the amount of liquid recommended to un-condense the soup). Between the wine, the little drizzle of butter the top gets, and the chicken juices that cook out, it makes a very nice sauce. So, to answer your question, I would just use it straight from the can and do as the recipe instructs.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Head Chef
Thats what I figured, Just didnt want to find out at the end of the recipe, that I should have done it the other day, and be too soupy.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Whoosh that half cup water and milk in the cans to rinse them out and you are good to go.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Do exactly as the recipe says. The point of using condensed soup in recipes is that it is thick.
Dont look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Head Chef
I use condensed soups often. For one thing they are time savers. I'm not going to make a pot of cream of mushroom soup every time I make a dish that's suited to it. My Mom's meat loaf, one of my favorite comfort foods is topped with cream of mushroom. Same feeling about cream of celery and cream of chicken. I'm not apologizing for it either.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
My vote is add just the soup as is from the can. But keep in mind, that they will be very salty. So go easy on the salt. The juices from any additions to the recipe will exude their own juices and will help create a lovely sauce. Use a rubber spatula to scrape out every last drop from the cans.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Question about condensed soup in a recipe

Yes, recipe as written. The condensed soups come in reduced sodium and lower fat versions. I use the Campbell's healthy request version.

Love the cream of mushroom soup, whether in recipes, or as soup, doctored up or not.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
Master Chef
In the early days of my cooking there wasn't such a thing as Golden Mushroom soup or Cheese soup for cooking. I use both of them often now and I think they're terrific.
Personally I would substitute wine for the 1/2 cup of water requested in your recipe, but that's just me.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Avoid using the big name brands. They will be too salty and full of poison preservatives. Instead, go to your local health food market and find the low or non-sodium organic alternative. The trip and price difference is worth it.

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote

recipe, soup