Question about cooking with wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
If a person cannot drink due to medications is it alright to cook with wine? Should I be safe and substitute broth?

If you just make sure that the wine boiles, the alcohol will evaporate. Then cooking with wine shouldn't be a problem. But ask your doctor just in case.

I would check with the doctor before doing anything with it.

Alcohol, no matter how long a dish cooks, does not fully dissipate. That's why you never want to prepare a dish for an alcoholic or recovering alcoholic with wine or any spirits in it. there is always a small amount left,

I would check with the doctor before doing anything with it.

Alcohol, no matter how long a dish cooks, does not fully dissipate. That's why you never want to prepare a dish for an alcoholic or recovering alcoholic with wine or any spirits in it. there is always a small amount left,

Really? I didn't know that. If that's true she MUST ask her doctor first:)

Yep, alcohol has a lower boiling point than water but like many mixtures when you boil them, the alcohol does not just come off first. Some of it does but then it forms an azeotrope, sorry going back to my physical chemistry memories, and it comes off as a mixture and you just cannot get rid of it.

So there will always is some alcohol in your food if you add wine.

Now normally with wine the amount is not very much. But some medications have an antabuse effect; one can get very sick if taken with even the least amount of alcohol.

One example is Flagyl, a not uncommom antibiotic.

I would check with your doc before cooking with any alcohol.

This chart will show you how much alcohol is still retained after cooking with various methods and times. You will be surprised at how much is really left.

If I were cooking for someone who could not have alcohol for whatever reason then I would absolutely NOT cook with it.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just omit the wine. My mother is on many cancer meds so it probably would be best not to add it.

One of our science shows over here breathalysed people after eating food cooked with alcohol and liquor filled chocolates, and they all came out with zero or negligible (I can't recall the term they used) results. Personally, I don't see any reason not to add it. Whenever I have been on alcohol-restricting medications, neither doctor nor pharmacist has told me to avoid any food made with alcohol, only the direct consumption of it.

As to replacing alcohol in cooking, you can use a bit of fruit juice instead. Be wary though of adding non-alcoholic wines as not all have a good flavour for cooking.

Bilby, did your doctor or pharmacist say " do not pour booze into a glass and drink with this medication" or did they say "do not take with alcohol"? I have never had a doctor or pharmacist say anything about "direct consumption" whatever that means. They have always been very general and said not to take with alcohol. Food cooked with booze still has alcohol in it. To me, that would be taking with alcohol.

Just because the breathalyzer test came out the way it did does not mean that there is no alcohol present. It just means that the test did not register an amount for that test. The breathalyzer is designed to catch drunk drivers, not test to see if there is booze in these foods, which there obviously is.

Hello Elaine :)

Always better to avoid if unsure in my opinion.
What I would substitute the wine with is a sweet sour combination such as lemon and honey or whatever else u can think up.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom