"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I'm not messing with catfish anymore. I hear it's a dirty fish anyway........
Yup...bottom feeders do not get cooked in our house.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

I hear ya.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
I think it still had the skin on... I'm not sure though.
If it had the skin on, that might just be the problem. Catfish skin is really tough. You actually have to peel the skin off. I believe the taste of skin on catfish wouldn't be very pleasant. Also, where did it originate from?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Yup...bottom feeders do not get cooked in our house.
I guess you don't eat crab or lobster then.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
They still had the bone in. They were pretty much the same size. I kinda gave them about 8 to 10 minutes on each side. I wish i had took pics.

I have over cooked fish before and it was just dry and kind of crumbled. This just had me curious. I didn't realise fish could be so tough lol. I mainly broil talapia for my husband and daughter and its perfect. Like I've said I have fried pan trout before no problem. This fish must have been working out!
Unless they were very large, 8-10 minutes per side seems like a lot. I've never cooked catfish bone-in, only fillets, and typically about 3 minutes each side in a fairly hot pan. I find that I have the best luck with frying fish I cut it into smaller pieces and serve it more like fish fingers. Just seems easier to control the cooking process.

I had a similar problem with a couple of grouper fillets that I bought frozen when I still lived in Colorado. They turned to rubber, like trying to chew overcooked conch. I don't think that I overcooked them - not sure what happened. Yet I've made grouper numerous times since then and it's always been wonderful. I've never had catfish get tough, but I've never battered it - usually have it blackened, or at least my version of it, and I try to get fillets of even thickness, or cut them smaller and cook them in batches of pieces which are close to the same size.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

If it had the skin on, that might just be the problem. Catfish skin is really tough. You actually have to peel the skin off. I believe the taste of skin on catfish wouldn't be very pleasant. Also, where did it originate from?
My husband said it had no skin. It came from the grocery store labled "pond fresh raised" or something like that. It was in the fresh meat section.

And nope, I don't eat shrimp or lobster, etc. I eat a little bit of fish but that's about it.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
My husband said it had no skin. It came from the grocery store labled "pond fresh raised" or something like that. It was in the fresh meat section.

And nope, I don't eat shrimp or lobster, etc. I eat a little bit of fish but that's about it.
Pond raised, but from where. There is a lot of pond raised fish coming out of Asia, China in particular, that is just plain garbage.

My comment regarding crab and lobster was for Rocket.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I had a similar problem with a couple of grouper fillets that I bought frozen when I still lived in Colorado. They turned to rubber, like trying to chew overcooked conch. I don't think that I overcooked them - not sure what happened. Yet I've made grouper numerous times since then and it's always been wonderful. I've never had catfish get tough, but I've never battered it - usually have it blackened, or at least my version of it, and I try to get fillets of even thickness, or cut them smaller and cook them in batches of pieces which are close to the same size.
I believe grouper is one of those fish that has been frequently mislabeled; a cheaper fish was substituted for what you thought you were buying. Colorado had a pretty high incidence of this problem: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...-is-mislabeled
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I believe grouper is one of those fish that has been frequently mislabeled; a cheaper fish was substituted for what you thought you were buying. Colorado had a pretty high incidence of this problem: One In Three Fish Sold At Restaurants And Grocery Stores Is Mislabeled : The Salt : NPR
I have never had that problem. I know what it is before I shoot it.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I guess you don't eat crab or lobster then.
No...