Question about imitation crab meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
Is imitation crab meat cooked already? Can I use it without cooking it?

Thanks

It makes a decent "crab" salad sandwich. Just shred it or break it up and go from there.

Thank you for your replies. Yeah, that's what i was thinking, putting it in with salad.

I love shredded imitation crab on radish sprouts (or other bitter sprouts) and tossed with a little Japanese mayonnaise. It's called Kani Kaiware and is a popular Japanese salad.

Have you read what's in it and how they make it? Are you sure you want to eat that?

Not trying to be contrary, just wonder whether folks know that it is really made with inferior quality fish and all sorts of artificial flavors and colors. There really are lots of better (and tastier, imho) alternatives to surimi. That's its real name. Surimi.

There are all different types if surimi, not just fake crab. I am not sure where you got your information that surimi is inferior quality fish. There is nothing wrong with the fish used to make it.

The father of an old friend of mine is the man responsible for surimi being in the US. It was the company he owned that was the first to import surami to the US.

Who ever said anything about it being a healthy food?

I just said I do not know where you got your information that it is made with inferior fish. There is nothing wrong with the fish used to make it.

We don't make such a big deal of things like that at my house. We're healthy and enjoy a variety of foods. If something is fried or over processed, but we really love it, we eat it once in a great while. i don't see anything wrong with that.

actually, for the last couple of weeks I've been dealing with crabby patty, wait, that's my sister...

To me, seafood extender (as it is marketed here) is just the seafood version of polony or saveloys. Wouldn't want to live on it but every so often it is nice to have.

It annoys me though when it is used as if it is crab - or a quality ingredient. Keep it in perspective and it is fine. Flog it as something it isn't and ...

To me, seafood extender (as it is marketed here) is just the seafood version of polony or saveloys. Wouldn't want to live on it but every so often it is nice to have.

It annoys me though when it is used as if it is crab - or a quality ingredient. Keep it in perspective and it is fine. Flog it as something it isn't and ...

I think you hit the nail on the head Bilby! Enjoy it for what it is. Do not be fooled by what it isn't.

I enjoy it primarily as a sandwich filling (with mayo & whatever else appeals to me at the time), but sometimes use it in a stirfry dish called "Coral & Jade", which is essentially broccoli florets & surimi. Is both tasty & attractive.

For the record I also agree that it's ridiculous to get ones panties in a bunch over consuming foods one enjoys - healthy or not - in moderation. And particularly with reference to "surimi", it is definitely NOT made from "inferior fish", as ChefJune seems to feel. It's prepared from either Pollock or Hake or a combination of the two, both perfectly desirable fish in their own right. In addition to being available at fish markets as filets, both species are used in nearly all commercial prepared fish products - frozen fish sticks, breaded fish filets, etc. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with them & they're certainly not "inferior".

Back
Top Bottom