Question about lard/suet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never seen beef rendered fat in of the stores I go to, either. I have rendered it down at home to use in recipes for beef. Yep, the method he is using is confit, not deepfrying. I would think it would be easier done in the oven, though.

Constance said:
Ishbel...me again. I'm watching Paula Deen in London, and she's in a butcher shope, looking at bacon. She says the English have something they call "back bacon", which is wider and has more meat running through it. Can you tell us about it?

I don't know Paula Deen, Constance - but 'back bacon' is a larger rasher than 'streaky'. We have smoked and unsmoked bacon. I believe British bacon is more like the type that Americans call Canadian (don't know if it's cos the bacon is FROM Canada, or the way it may be cured!).

I haven't eaten American bacon for many years - it was so different to the stuff I am used to that I only tried it a couple of times... and anyway, it's not good for me nowadays!

Constance: here's a wikipedia piece on the differences between bacons! And isn't it odd that, according to Wiki, 'Canadian' bacon is unknown as CB in Canada?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Last edited:
Since you had mentioned LARD, I was wondering where you go to get it in the South? I live in SC and the last time I tried to find lard I was sent to the Crisco. Any suggestions?

I can't imagine anyone having a problem finding lard anywhere in the South! But, that doesn't mean that some stores may not carry it. I have 6 grocery stores on my side of town that I shop at and only 1 (very small store) doesn't carry it, or if they do I just haven't seen it. Three stores have it next to the Crisco, one has it in the Ethnic Foods section, and one keeps moving it around ... I once found it back in the refrigerated case with the butter and margarine.

All the grocery stores I visit in our area of NC have lard. Most of the time it's next to the Crisco and other shortenings but if not then it's in the Hispanic section.

Constance said:
Ishbel...me again. I'm watching Paula Deen in London, and she's in a butcher shope, looking at bacon. She says the English have something they call "back bacon", which is wider and has more meat running through it. Can you tell us about it?
Back bacon is what is commonly referred to in the states as Canadian bacon. Which isn't really what we use for bacon. We use the same old side bacon that the Americans use for our bacon recipes. Canadian bacon is reserved for use with eggs benny and such.:)

Have any of you tried the bacon that is lined with black pepper. Its like
pastramy. its the best bacon I have ever had. My dogs just love it.

Ishbel said:
This is the usual way we buy suet (although I can buy it grated/shredded dierctly from my local butcher) - here is a picture of the box, which might be sold locally - although this is a US site for mail order.

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Atora_Suet.html

If I did the math right 3lbs. would cost $16.47 US. If I understood your earlier post, suet is primarily a baking item and you would buy "beef lard" to fry with or make a confit. Did I understand you correctly?

I wouldn't ever buy lard to fry things with! The suet is used mostly for dumplings for meat dishes, for suet puddings like jam roly-poly and for suet crust pastries for steam puddings.

I wouldn't get through 3 lb of suet in 3 or 4 years! Most of my recipes add about a quarter pound to the flour - at most, half a pound... and I would only make such dishes 2 or 3 times a winter!

I called my son, who used to work for a company that made a lot of this stuff - and then called his MIL who still works for that company .. here is the story they told me (it's kind of like a dog chasing it's tail):

Lard is rendered raw (uncured) pork fat.

Suet has different meanings, and may have different names ... depending on the context. But, suet is beef or lamb/mutton fat.

The raw fat from around the kidneys or loins are suet, sometimes called hard or flake suet. This is the preferred fat for pastries and puddings, like Ishbel mentioned. But, it is limited in quantity.

Raw fat from other areas (not rendered) is also called suet. However, when rendered it technically becomes "tallow". Tallow can undergo a couple of rendering processes ... to make soft or hard/flake tallow. The old oil blend that McDonald's used (when their fries tasted so good) was about 93% tallow - some other quick-food franchises with really good tasting fries used something similar. Hard flake tallow is also used in the pastry world - cheaper than hard-flake suet but has similar baking characteristics and flavor.

Fats, especially animal fats, carry a lot of flavor and offer qualities in baked and fried goods you will not get with Crisco or vegetable oils ... but also contain cholesterol, which vegetable fats don't.

I limit my instake of these goodies to once or twice a year.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard

Michael has it right. The only slight emphasis is delineating "pork" for lard and "beef" for tallow, etc.

The highest quality lard is from around the kidneys and called "leaf lard".

Beef tallow is excellent for frying because of its high smoke point.

Thanks for all your information about lard..... I will have to look again and I didn't think of looking in the Spanish section.... so, great information.... thanks.

Back
Top Bottom