"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question about lard/suet

I was watching Guy's Big Bite this morning on the food network and he was using what looked like pork lard (that is readily available here in the south) but he kept calling it beef fat. I've never heard of using beef fat to fry in. Was wondering if he was just mistaken and it was really pork fat or if there is such a thing as beef fat used to fry in. He did say it was in most supermarkets. Though some of you might shed some light on this for me.
TIA

Old 07-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It could have been suet, which is beef fat.

Either that or the chef was wrong in calling it beef fat.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Head Chef

I've never seen his show but was hoping for something better from him. I've never seen rendered beef fat for sale in the markets I go to. Maybe you could check the posted recipe on The Food Network and see if it lists lard instead. If so maybe we could give him a rookie pass. I searched beef fat on their site and got two hits, both using fat reserved from something made at home.

Reminds me of a woman name Christine who has a show on PBS. She keeps putting a jalapeno pepper on her cutting board and saying in a grammar school instructional tone, "This is a poblano pepper."

Maybe I'm wrong though and they do sell rendered beef fat and poblanos that look exactly like jalapenos in all the markets except the ones I go to.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It could have been suet, which is beef fat.
Hey Andy,
Can you shed any more light on the subject. I googled suet and sure enough it's beef fat, but all the sites were about bird feed.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

His recipe for carnitas calls for pork lard or suet (beef fat).
Old 07-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Hey Andy,
Can you shed any more light on the subject. I googled suet and sure enough it's beef fat, but all the sites were about bird feed.
Bird seeds are sometimes pressed into a block of suet to provide birds with some extra calories in the winter.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

You can get beef suet from your supermarket. It is good for adding to venison for making sausage.
I don't understand what is wrong about his using it. Growing up, we had steak on Saturday night and my dad would cut the excess fat from the steak and fry it out to use in the skillet for pan frying the steak. It has an immense amount of flavor--as evidenced by the fact that McDonald's used to use it for frying their French fries.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

In case any body's interested here is the recipe in question. Basically it's deep frying 3/4 lb pieces of pork butt in beef or pork fat for 1 to 1 1/2 hr. at low temperature, 250F.
Has anybody done it like this?

Old 07-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
You can get beef suet from your supermarket. It is good for adding to venison for making sausage.
I don't understand what is wrong about his using it. Growing up, we had steak on Saturday night and my dad would cut the excess fat from the steak and fry it out to use in the skillet for pan frying the steak. It has an immense amount of flavor--as evidenced by the fact that McDonald's used to use it for frying their French fries.
Gretchen,
I don't say there's anything wrong about his using it. I just had never heard of suet or noticed rendered beef fat in the store, but there's an awful lot I don't know. That's why I appreciate this forum so much.
I keep lard in the ice box all the time and will look for suet next trip to the store.
Furthermore, if anyone confirms they've cooked meat with the method described in Guy's fairly simple recipe I will make it that way in the near future.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
In case any body's interested here is the recipe in question. Basically it's deep frying 3/4 lb pieces of pork butt in beef or pork fat for 1 to 1 1/2 hr. at low temperature, 250F.
Has anybody done it like this?
At 250F, I wouldn't really call that deep frying. That's more like confit.

Isn't this the same guy who's only claim to fame was winning the FoodTV's "Next Star" show?