"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #41
Master Chef

The results of the tri tip (western cut of beef) I normally cook on the grill , roasted in my convection oven set at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Spectacular.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #42
Master Chef

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh that looks good!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yum! I've never seen tri-tip here, though I keep searching. Must be a west coast cut.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J
It's a beautiful sunny day for grilling, so I've got a nice tri tip coming to room temp to throw on the grill. Sides will be sautéed mushrooms, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and grilled asparagus.
Turned out good! I'm still stuffed, lots of leftovers.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 AM   #46
Master Chef

Oops, meant to edit. Wish it were nationwide, it's an awesome and really flavorful cut of beef.

Tri-tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #47
Executive Chef

I am an avid baker, especially around the holidays. I loved my old fashioned oven. Everything turned out perfect. With this new one, I first tried cookies with the regular Bake setting. Disaster. I was not familiar with convection, but I tried it. For some reason, the cookies in the center of the cookie sheet are still raw when the ones on the outside edges are done. Now I have started putting the cookies just around the outside edge so they all bake the same. It takes a lot longer to bake a batch of cookies but the results are better. It's worth the extra time. If I am making something like lasagne, I have to turn the pan halfway through cooking so it cooks evenly. Very disappointing, especially for what I paid for it.

Kayelle, I use my bottom oven for storage of my broiler pan. I do use it for some things, like roasted root vegetables, as the browning on the top is desired, and I just stir them to turn part way through the cooking time. It also has a warming setting that is useful.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I am an avid baker, especially around the holidays. I loved my old fashioned oven. Everything turned out perfect. With this new one, I first tried cookies with the regular Bake setting. Disaster. I was not familiar with convection, but I tried it. For some reason, the cookies in the center of the cookie sheet are still raw when the ones on the outside edges are done. Now I have started putting the cookies just around the outside edge so they all bake the same. It takes a lot longer to bake a batch of cookies but the results are better. It's worth the extra time. If I am making something like lasagne, I have to turn the pan halfway through cooking so it cooks evenly. Very disappointing, especially for what I paid for it.

Kayelle, I use my bottom oven for storage of my broiler pan. I do use it for some things, like roasted root vegetables, as the browning on the top is desired, and I just stir them to turn part way through the cooking time. It also has a warming setting that is useful.
Convection isn't always the right setting for all things. If it was then all ovens would probably come that way standard. I admit that I haven't used my convection setting, but it's supposed to actually keep the temperature more even through out the oven, and eliminate hot and cool spots. It sounds to me like there is more wrong with yours than just the convection feature.

I tested my gas GE Adora with an oven thermometer before I ever used it for anything, and it was spot on. I've cooked several things in it since we got in installed in November, and everything has cooked evenly and perfectly, from our Christmas rib roast to sheet pans full of wings. We don't bake a lot, but we are making some dessert bars for the town library association fundraiser, so I'll report back on that.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #49
Executive Chef

My husband looked at it and he said that all the heat is coming from the sides, therefore the cookies on the sides of the pan are getting more heat before the ones in the middle. It is better using the convection setting, but not actually up to my standards for baking cookies. At my age, I will not be buying another stove again, so I just live with it. I just think things were made better years back.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually I would have agreed with you there RF, until I got my new ($1,000) GE gas stove recently. I'm still discovering all it does. The single normal oven can be switched to convection, which indeed does have both BAKE and ROAST choices.

The booklet says the "bake multi rack" mode is equipped with Auto Recipe Converson for baking cakes and cookies.
The Convection Roast mode is meant for roasting whole cuts of meat on a single rack.
I'm going to do an oven Tri Tip tonight to see how it goes with the convection Roast mode. Teaching this old dog new tricks is always interesting.
Yea, I see that. But there are a few out there with no electronic consoles, like Wolf ovens, for instance.