Question About Roasting Versus Baking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The results of the tri tip (western cut of beef) I normally cook on the grill , roasted in my convection oven set at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Spectacular.
img_1409200_0_08dc309d91fb46dd058531caccb3fafe.jpg

Yum! I've never seen tri-tip here, though I keep searching. Must be a west coast cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J
It's a beautiful sunny day for grilling, so I've got a nice tri tip coming to room temp to throw on the grill. Sides will be sautéed mushrooms, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and grilled asparagus.
Turned out good! I'm still stuffed, lots of leftovers. :yum:
Attached Thumbnails

I am an avid baker, especially around the holidays. I loved my old fashioned oven. Everything turned out perfect. With this new one, I first tried cookies with the regular Bake setting. Disaster. I was not familiar with convection, but I tried it. For some reason, the cookies in the center of the cookie sheet are still raw when the ones on the outside edges are done. Now I have started putting the cookies just around the outside edge so they all bake the same. It takes a lot longer to bake a batch of cookies but the results are better. It's worth the extra time. If I am making something like lasagne, I have to turn the pan halfway through cooking so it cooks evenly. Very disappointing, especially for what I paid for it.

Kayelle, I use my bottom oven for storage of my broiler pan. I do use it for some things, like roasted root vegetables, as the browning on the top is desired, and I just stir them to turn part way through the cooking time. It also has a warming setting that is useful.

I am an avid baker, especially around the holidays. I loved my old fashioned oven. Everything turned out perfect. With this new one, I first tried cookies with the regular Bake setting. Disaster. I was not familiar with convection, but I tried it. For some reason, the cookies in the center of the cookie sheet are still raw when the ones on the outside edges are done. Now I have started putting the cookies just around the outside edge so they all bake the same. It takes a lot longer to bake a batch of cookies but the results are better. It's worth the extra time. If I am making something like lasagne, I have to turn the pan halfway through cooking so it cooks evenly. Very disappointing, especially for what I paid for it.

Kayelle, I use my bottom oven for storage of my broiler pan. I do use it for some things, like roasted root vegetables, as the browning on the top is desired, and I just stir them to turn part way through the cooking time. It also has a warming setting that is useful.

Convection isn't always the right setting for all things. If it was then all ovens would probably come that way standard. I admit that I haven't used my convection setting, but it's supposed to actually keep the temperature more even through out the oven, and eliminate hot and cool spots. It sounds to me like there is more wrong with yours than just the convection feature.

I tested my gas GE Adora with an oven thermometer before I ever used it for anything, and it was spot on. I've cooked several things in it since we got in installed in November, and everything has cooked evenly and perfectly, from our Christmas rib roast to sheet pans full of wings. We don't bake a lot, but we are making some dessert bars for the town library association fundraiser, so I'll report back on that.

My husband looked at it and he said that all the heat is coming from the sides, therefore the cookies on the sides of the pan are getting more heat before the ones in the middle. It is better using the convection setting, but not actually up to my standards for baking cookies. At my age, I will not be buying another stove again, so I just live with it. I just think things were made better years back.

Actually I would have agreed with you there RF, until I got my new ($1,000) GE gas stove recently. I'm still discovering all it does. The single normal oven can be switched to convection, which indeed does have both BAKE and ROAST choices.
img_1409255_0_23c28de4f63b6fcaed8db783e5383c15.jpg

The booklet says the "bake multi rack" mode is equipped with Auto Recipe Converson for baking cakes and cookies.
The Convection Roast mode is meant for roasting whole cuts of meat on a single rack.
I'm going to do an oven Tri Tip tonight to see how it goes with the convection Roast mode. Teaching this old dog new tricks is always interesting. ;)
Yea, I see that. But there are a few out there with no electronic consoles, like Wolf ovens, for instance.

Its irrelevant to the task of warming up a ham.

For what it's worth ...
What's the Difference Between Roasting and Baking?

While these cooking methods are nearly identical in today's kitchen, there's actually a few things that set them apart.
  • Structure of the food. This is the primary factor that sets these cooking methods apart. Roasting involves cooking foods that already have a solid structure before the cooking process begins (think, meat and vegetables). Baking involves that lack structure early on, then become solid and lose their "empty space" during the cooking (think, cakes and muffins).
  • Temperature. Various sources note that the temperature setting on the oven also distinguishes these two cooking method. Roasting requires a higher temperature (400 degrees F and above) to create a browned, flavorful "crust" on the outside of the food being cooked, while baking occurs at lower oven temperatures (up to 375 degrees F).
  • Fat content. While many baked goods contain fat within, an outer coating of fat, such as vegetables or meat brushed with olive oil, is an indicator of roasting.
  • Covered pan. Roasting is typically done in an open, uncovered pan, while items that are baked may be covered.
What's the Difference Between Roasting and Baking? — Word of Mouth | The Kitchn

Item 1 - correct as far as I can see.

Item 2 - Pizza is baked in excess of 500' F.

Item 3 - I brush breads, dinner rolls, and other traditionally baked foods with butter and to help brown the crust of many items.

Item 4 - there are a host of quick-breads, custards, breads, cookies, brownies, etc. are all baked uncovered.

This discussion could go on for a very long time as there is no longer hard and fast rules that distinguish baking and roasting. There are some who claim adamantly that roasting involves open fire. Others state that roasting reefers to cooking meat with dry heat. I feel that it can be somewhat regional, or even dictated by the traditions of your family.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well that stinks! I use convection pretty much exclusively and enjoy nice, even baking, I've been very happy with it. I've baked a lot of cookies, cakes and bread in that oven.

Roasting, baking - it's all cooking! This argument has been going on for hundreds of years, and it's never been settled to the satisfaction of everyone, so don't try. Let it go and do what seems best to you.

Back
Top Bottom