Question about spoiled green onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people that I know are not worth explaining anything to them. I am not allergic to anything physically. I know one person though that makes me sick, sick in the heart, sick trying to figure out what the heck they are doing, sick to my stomach, fearful, angry, feeling invalidated, treated unjustly, falsely accused, angry. I would not usually explain why or how, I am allergic to this person. If I were to say, "I'm allergic to this person", most people would get the subtleties of language, recognize it is not a physical allergy in the sense of hives, vomiting, throat closing up, problems breathing and take me to a hospital. That I do not like the way I'm treated by this person, is enough for me to say, no thanks. I might have to start saying, "I'm allergic to this person". And just leave it at that.

I am also not a picky eater, I like almost everything. There are people here brought up in homes where their parents forced them to eat things they didn't want to eat. Recognize for what it is, a violation of their preferences and who they are. Being forced to eat food can leave a lasting impression upon a person and they may choose to find a way around a conflict of being forced to eat something, as "I'm allergic" as that shuts down the conflict. If someone says they are allergic to something, they are either stating a health issue or a preference. I accept this.

I realize some people here must have absolute honesty and require this honesty, but, really, is it any business of yours, their medical records, or is this a court of law? This is a social forum to learn and share, it is neither anyone's business about another person's medical records and this is not a court of law either.

Well said blissful, thanks.

Everyone has their own opinions and I have enjoyed enormously hearing them all.

To each their own... :flowers:

I realize some people here must have absolute honesty and require this honesty, but, really, is it any business of yours, their medical records, or is this a court of law? This is a social forum to learn and share, it is neither anyone's business about another person's medical records and this is not a court of law either.

I'm going to assume you are referring to my question about this statement:
But being sensitive to a food and having a quick reaction can triple that reaction time if the food itself is starting to go.

I took this to mean that this was a common occurrence, not specific to one person. I have no interest in any DC member's medical history - my question was more general.

All someone needs to say is, "I can't have X. Does Y contain any?" Just communicate your needs honestly and accurately. No one needs details except for medical professionals, but misleading people has unintended consequences. One is making people take allergies less seriously because everyone seems to be allergic to something these days, even if they don't know what an allergy actually is.

I make a concerted effort to NOT offer medical advice to anyone. But I will offer advice on food. How to choose it, prepare it and preserve it. If that person becomes ill from that food, then they should seek medical care.

If a member of my family has a problem that they had as a child, I will let them know how it was treated at that time. What they choose to do with that information, is up to them. I never say "This is what you have to do." I am not their doctor, I am their mother.

I found an even better deal this morning at another supermarket. IMG_0174.jpg

What on earth do you do with that many onions?

Granted, I live alone but even when I had a house full I couldn't go thru 4 bunches in a week!

Granted, I live alone but even when I had a house full I couldn't go thru 4 bunches in a week!

We actually do use them a lot, but we also end up tossing out a bunch or two from time to time.
But since they're so cheap, no worries.

Now on the other hand, the same market had Japanese eggplants this morning @ 2.99/lb. I can get the same at Ralph's/Kroger for only 1.49/lb.
Many items are dirt cheap while many others are overpriced.

This entire thread has made me smile...

I've posted before that Jeannie seldom cooks.. She makes a great quesadilla and a few other things in which she always uses green onions... Consequently, she always grabs a bunch of them when we shop... I smile and quietly toss the ones which go bad.. I have to humor my sweetie... ;)

Ross

too funny guys! But I hate "tossing" because up here they are not dirt cheap, sssigh...

Plus with age I'm becoming more ..."sensitive"... to them. So as much as I love them I have to be a little more 'circumspect' in their use.

and ohh yeah... you are lucky to have that asian market so close that you can go on a regular basis. Mine is a good 50 minutes away... on a good day. Plus I'm always in there for about 40 odd minutes. This makes for a 3 hour trip. So I only go about once a month... usually much longer.

Once I was specifically looking at their plain ordinary crimini (brown or white) mushrooms and I suddenly realized that they were twice the price of the local grocer!

LOL Buyer Beware!

egads, I could go on and on here :LOL:

Last edited:
This entire thread has made me smile...

I've posted before that Jeannie seldom cooks.. She makes a great quesadilla and a few other things in which she always uses green onions... Consequently, she always grabs a bunch of them when we shop... I smile and quietly toss the ones which go bad.. I have to humor my sweetie... ;)

Ross

Ross...you're a wise man. ;)
My DH, the SousChef only cooks occasionally but he's a whizz helping in the kitchen and with the grocery shopping.
My late husband only came in the kitchen when it was time to eat, and knew not a thing about shopping. I asked him once to pick up some green onions for me on his way home from work. He came home with brown onions and said they were the greenest ones he could find. :ohmy::rolleyes:

Ross...you're a wise man. ;)
My DH, the SousChef only cooks occasionally but he's a whizz helping in the kitchen and with the grocery shopping.
My late husband only came in the kitchen when it was time to eat, and knew not a thing about shopping. I asked him once to pick up some green onions for me on his way home from work. He came home with brown onions and said they were the greenest ones he could find. :ohmy::rolleyes:
Love it... ;)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom