Question about spoiled green onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tenchains

Assistant Cook
Hi. I recently bought some green onions at the store. When I pulled them out to chop them I noticed a smell that is unfamiliar any other time that I have used them which is quite often. There was no mold on them. I smelled them closely and it was not as noticeable as when I pulled them from the bag. I cooked them in woth my ground meat but felt sick immediately after eating. I was able to walk it off. I went back and pulled all of the onions out of the remaining food. My question is will this be sufficient to allow me to eat the rest of the dish. I cooked it a few hours ago and pulled the onion out of it jist now.

Nope. Whatever is wrong with the onions rotting is now spread throughout your dish with the meat. Just throw it out. It isn't worth getting sick over. Take good care of you!

ditto blissful.

If they were bad enough that you felt it immediately - them thar's powerful toxins rotting on d'onions - just chuck it out.

I'm usually pretty lax with things like that but there is stupid (like me) and then there is REALLY STUPID (like people who end up getting their stomachs pumped - hopefully in time).

Back to that adage... better safe than sorry!

Also you might try to remember when you bought them, where you bought them, if either are rather recent I would go back to the store and mention it. I'm not saying this for a monetary refund but for the safety of others.

It's very unusual for food poisoning to have an immediate effect like that. Typically it takes several hours to a week or more. That makes me wonder whether this was really the problem.

That said, if food smells bad, don't eat it. As blissful said, anything that might be wrong with the onions is now a part of the dish. Throw it out.

If my system in any way doesn't like the food or drink, it reacts almost immediately . Makes eating out a bit interesting at times.

On a side note, we never leave veges like green onions in the bag when placed in the fridge. Of the veges we do refrigerate, celery and carrots are the only ones that do fine left in the bag.

One time when my landlord came into my home, he said he smelt gas. He checked the stove. Nope, that was fine. Then he asked me if I had any onions. Can he see them? I brought them out and there was one that was in the process of turning rotten. He told me that onions when they start to go bad give off the odor of gas. Good thing to know. That was probably what we were smelling.
We found that the whole bag was going bad. Out they went with the trash. I would suggest that you do the same. That one onion had been giving off the gas that infected the rest of your onions.

But being sensitive to a food and having a quick reaction can triple that reaction time if the food itself is starting to go.

so whether or not it is actually to be called "food poisoning" or just plain reaction to the rotten food - doesn't really matter. It is affecting your stomach which in its own greedy little mind thinks it is being 'poisoned' and it will react swiftly to get rid of it any way it sees fit. :ermm: Usually not pleasant for the host. :LOL: As obviously Vinylhanger, myself and probably anyone with IBS/D can attest to. :wacko:

But being sensitive to a food and having a quick reaction can triple that reaction time if the food itself is starting to go.

I've never heard that before. Do you have evidence of that idea?

so whether or not it is actually to be called "food poisoning" or just plain reaction to the rotten food - doesn't really matter. It is affecting your stomach which in its own greedy little mind thinks it is being 'poisoned' and it will react swiftly to get rid of it any way it sees fit. :ermm: Usually not pleasant for the host. [emoji38] As obviously Vinylhanger, myself and probably anyone with IBS/D can attest to. :wacko:

It does matter. How a doctor would treat this condition depends on exactly what the problem is. Just like people saying they're allergic to something when they don't actually have an allergy, which is the immune system reacting to something. It's very specific.

I have IBD. I've had painful reactions to food, but I have never had food poisoning, that I'm aware of. I really don't understand why you think words don't matter.

Last edited:
I've never heard that before. Do you have evidence of that idea?

**Yup, me.**

It does matter. How a doctor would treat this condition depends on exactly what the problem is. Just like people saying they're allergic to something when they don't actually have an allergy, which is the immune system reacting to something. It's very specific.

***Statement wasn't to a doctor - just ordinary garden variety people. I am very sensitive to certain foods but when a food is offered to me that I know I will react to rather than go into a big explanation, I just say I'm allergic and let it go at that. simple accepted end of story - would I say that to a doctor or medical person trying to help me? of course not! **

I have IBD. I've had painful reactions to food, but I have never had food poisoning, that I'm aware of. I really don't understand why you think words don't matter.

Most people when the catch a "bug", commonly just called "gastro" which are infamously usually contracted in hospitals are just called that by both doctors and nurses. When someone has a slight "gastro" attack they often think that they have had a slight case of food poisoning. Not true of course and if they want to go to hospital and/or doctor, they will probably find out otherwise. But because within a day or two it passes... they do nothing. and still refer to it as a "slight case of food poisoning"

GG, everything you say is perfectly true with all the i's dotted and t's crossed, I just don't do that unless I need to.

whoops - didn't mean to make it look like all your quote, but I don't know how to fix it other than with asterisks. Sorry!

Last edited:
One time when my landlord came into my home, he said he smelt gas. He checked the stove. Nope, that was fine. Then he asked me if I had any onions. Can he see them? I brought them out and there was one that was in the process of turning rotten. He told me that onions when they start to go bad give off the odor of gas. Good thing to know. That was probably what we were smelling.
We found that the whole bag was going bad. Out they went with the trash. I would suggest that you do the same. That one onion had been giving off the gas that infected the rest of your onions.
I had the exact same experience. We keep our onions in a mesh bag on the service porch. It is also where our gas drier is installed. I was afraid we had a leak, but finally found the bad onions.
Onions have sulfur in them, and the rotting process frees it. The stuff used to odorize gas is methyl mercaptan, which is also sulfur based.

If they're slimy I throw them out. At 33 cents per bunch I don't feel bad tossing them out.

OMG! I wish ours were that cheap. OMG! I have to go into the Asian market to get anything near that price! $1.59 for (I think last time) 3 bunches. In the big box they start at $1.59 per unit and I've seen them much much higher!

If they're slimy I throw them out. At 33 cents per bunch I don't feel bad tossing them out.

I throw them out at first sign of any slime too, and think nothing of it. They're usually around .89/bunch here which is still dirt cheap, but I never see them for .33/bunch. :ohmy:

Cheryl, 89 cents is nothing compared to the cost, money and otherwise, to eating something that can make you sick, right?

***Statement wasn't to a doctor - just ordinary garden variety people. I am very sensitive to certain foods but when a food is offered to me that I know I will react to rather than go into a big explanation, I just say I'm allergic and let it go at that. simple accepted end of story - would I say that to a doctor or medical person trying to help me? of course not! **
You might want to start rephrasing your reason for not eating something. Say along the lines of "that ingredient causes me severe distress and you don't want to experience the end result" rather than "I'm allergic". Why? What if you DO eat something that gives you that gastric distress inadvertently, but you've already given your "I'm allergic" excuse. I'm not a medical person, but I would not want someone who might panic over you give you a shot with an epi pen thinking it WAS an allergic reaction. Probably a little more worrisome than a burp-up or a quick run to the bathroom.

Last edited:
You might want to start rephrasing your reason for not eating something. Say along the lines of "that ingredient causes me severe distress and you don't want to experience the end result" rather than "I'm allergic". .

Well said CG, I will try rephrasing. But still, being allergic does not always mean you will have an anaphylaxic(sp?) reaction!

I admit to getting a little annoyed when people claim they're "allergic" to something they just don't like. Someone here once said they were "allergic" to all vegetables. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

I admit to getting a little annoyed when people claim they're "allergic" to something they just don't like. Someone here once said they were "allergic" to all vegetables. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

I have a relative who is still mad at me for laughing when she told me that...

I truly don't miss her... :ermm:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom