"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I never wash meat before freezing -- unless it's a fresh kill (game or chicken) and has some blood on it. Then I do just because. I don't know if I'd need to or not but we are doing that outside anyway and it makes me feel better.

As to freezing meat, I would venture that most of us don't have the luxury of eating fresh meat only. I know we sure don't.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcomplex View Post
I don't recommend freezing your meat period. Every time you freeze your product you loose 10% of it.
Not everybody are so lucky or able to buy meat at the snap of the fingers. Some of us have no other choice.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

There's no reason to wash meat or poultry before freezing. I wash poultry after thawing. I never wash meat.

Maybe you shouldn't freeze this stuff but I buy meats and poultry when on sale, and freeze what I won't use within a reasonable period. Maybe it's not as good after freezing but I can't afford to eat only fresh.

I wrap steaks separately before freezing them. I wrap individual chicken pieces separately too before freezing, so I can thaw only what's needed. Whether meat or chicken I always discard any retail container and packing material, then wrap in my own plastic wrap. I often then put the wrapped steaks or chicken pieces in a plastic bag.

Also, with steaks, I mark the date on the wrap with a permanent marker.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for the warm hospitality..

For the record I would never ever wash a good piece of steak or beef. It's mainly the infamous oinkster, fish, and chicken which are always in the news for semonella or some food related poisoning.

And if y'all watch food network or just about any cooking show on pbs and what not...nearly all the chefs emphasize washing poultry esp chicken..not so much pork or beef. Surely you've seen Alton Brown? But for me my pork chops always seem to have that icky, slimy film on it that I must wash off so that it can be nice n clean to absorb my marinade which I think makes a difference.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Instead of washing pork or beef, just wipe it off with a paper towel. Washing may cause loss of internal juices.

And now that fish has been mentioned, you never ever freeze store bought fish. Use it fresh or buy already frozen.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Cook

There is no reason at all to wash your meat/poultry. Think of it this way, bacteria (like salmonella) is usually present on raw meat, especially when that meat is in the temperature danger zone 41-135 degrees F. When you cook your meat, the heat kills the bacteria. For poultry, it has to be cooked entirely because the bacteria is generally through all of the meat. Beef, lamb, and I'll even say pork, don't need to be cooked all the way through because, unless it is ground, the bacteria only lives on the outside. Long story short? Cook your meat/poultry properly and make sure you don't cross-contaminate it after it is done and you probably have a 95% chance of never getting sick from it. I can't say that's an accurate percentage, but its a good guestimation. :)
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple916 View Post
It's mainly the infamous oinkster, fish, and chicken which are always in the news for semonella or some food related poisoning.
If your meat was contaminated with salmonella washing it would not get rid of the nasties. All it would do is spread them to wherever the water that you used to wash the meat hits next.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Actually I sometimes wash poultry and sometimes not, and don't have any reason other than my whim at the moment.

I used to cook chicken often while camping and with my primitive cooking facilities (Coleman stove, ice chest, jug of water, portable gas grill) I realized that washing chicken was just going to get contaminants on my hands and anything else that came in contact with the chicken. When camping there is just no way to wash poultry that doesn't make the situation worse, no way to avoid spreading any contamination. At home it's a lot easier to wash your hands, wash the counter, etc.

So far eating Chicken that wasn't washed before cooking hasn't ever harmed me. I'm willing to add chicken to the other things I don't wash.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple916 View Post
In cooking school did they teach how to properly store meats and poultry and freezing them? Should you wash beef, pork, or chicken before you freeze? my aunt does this all the time and I don't think it's right. I've tried to google it but it doesn't say if it it's harmful to wash before freezing which is my main concern. Thanks chefs..
I think everything has been discussed but your actual question. If your Aunt wants to wash everything she freezes, why would you think it's "not right"? Nothing harmful will happen to the meat if it's washed first.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think everything has been discussed but your actual question. If your Aunt wants to wash everything she freezes, why would you think it's "not right"? Nothing harmful will happen to the meat if it's washed first.
A friend of mine told me never to wash meat because it will get slimy. I was baffled. I eventually found out that she had been buying meat and washing it as soon as she got home. Then a day or two later when she wanted to use it, it was often slimy.

Tags
food