"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Question for chefs or food experts in properly freezing meats and poultry

In cooking school did they teach how to properly store meats and poultry and freezing them? Should you wash beef, pork, or chicken before you freeze? my aunt does this all the time and I don't think it's right. I've tried to google it but it doesn't say if it it's harmful to wash before freezing which is my main concern. Thanks chefs..

apple916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Head Chef
Welcome to DC.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Good morning from North Wales. I dont wash meat ect before freezing.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
It's not necessary to wash meat before (or after) freezing. The USDA advises against washing poultry before cooking because of the potential for spreading any bacteria.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
I don't recommend freezing your meat period. Every time you freeze your product you loose 10% of it.
godcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by godcomplex View Post
I don't recommend freezing your meat period. Every time you freeze your product you loose 10% of it.
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
That 10% isn't physical product loss, rather, it's a loss of flavour, juices, and other valuables one must consider when purchasing or using a piece of meat.

Do me a favour, go purchase 1 side of chicken breast, slice it in half length ways. Freeze one, fridge the other. After two days, thaw out the frozen breast. Cook both piece's and you will notice a considerable difference between the two.

Consider, by trade, I'm a Chef. One would assume I know what I'm talking about.
godcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Head Chef
I don't see the point of washing meat before freezing. (Unless, of course, you're doing your own killing and are properly rinsing it.) I rarely freeze anything. Most modern refrigerators are self-defrosting, and that's not a good environment for frozen meat in terms of maintaining texture. Far more important is how it's repackaged from the store pack and how well fat is trimmed, since fats can become rancid, even while frozen. I question how well most people package their meat for freezing. It's enough effort that I just don't buy more meat than I can use quickly and don't need to, anyway.

As to the suggested chicken freezing experiment... How much of that is a test of the home freezer's ability. I suspect a great many people have never tasted chicken that hadn't been frozen for considerably longer than two days. Almost all grocery store chicken pieces have obviously been frozen. They are not infrequently still frozen, when the store gets behind. (Of course, most chicken today is such pallid meat that it probably doesn't make much difference.)

I do sometimes have to buy frozen shrimp, when there's nothing else. It's thawed in the display, simply, I think, to make it look more appealing, but a few steps away are the same shrimp in its original frozen pack. There is a difference, though, when fresh is available, which it frequently is, being close enough to the shrimp fleet. There is a detectable and meaningful difference in texture.

I also sometimes have deer meat in the freezer, when someone shoots Bambi and a few friends and has more than they need. But it's professionally wrapped for freezing when I get it.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC. Looks as if your first question will generate a lot of replies and opinions.

I don't wash meat first. I do, however, take it out of the packaging if purchased in the supermarket, wrap it with cling wrap, and then double-wrap it with freezer paper. For economic reasons, I like to buy meat when on special, freeze it to use later. I wish I could afford to buy organic meat/grass fed, etc., but I can't. I have a freezer that has a "flash freeze" setting, so I freeze meat (and other stuff) in that freezer, and then move it to one of the other freezers (we have lots of freezers because of the 3000 sq. ft. garden).
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I sometimes buy fish at the market for use as raw sushi. When I do this, I use a Clorox bath for the fish to make sure that any bacteria that has been introduced to it in it's handling is killed.

You must measure the Clorox and water at exactly one teaspoon of unscented Clorox per/gallon of water.

You never know who has handled the meat at the market or what it has touched. This soaking/rinsing method will kill any bacteria on the meat or veggies. Read this entire article and the comments at the bottom before responding; you may learn more than you think.

Bacteria only gets on the surface and the outside 1/8th inch of meat. That is what is ground into minced meats that make it unsafe to eat raw.

I buy the huge cuts of Tuna Steaks and do this to them. I also buy any whole fillets and do it. It's a wonderful way to enjoy more raw sushi meat without the costs associated with "sushi quality meats".

The Clorox Food Bath: Can

Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote