"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Senior Cook
I agree with Scotch and Goodweed, I CAN tell the difference, but it's in texture ... it seems "mushy". I also like GW's idea of freezing in water, I'll have to try it. I'm no pro, but I eat food every day and night cooked from one, and we have played the games of blindfolded "Can you taste the difference". We both did. Like Scotch said, it's not the flavor ... it's the consistency.

As far as liking or not liking Ramsay for screaming in the kitchen, you don't think he runs his restaurants that way do you? It's an ACT. It brings in ratings, why can't people understand this? You can't get the average person (Non-pros) to watch a show where everything runs perfectly smooth and professional ... you have to SENSATIONALIZE. You can't possibly think he runs his very lucrative restaurants like that. I've watched him on tv in the kitchen when he wasn't putting on the show and he's nothing like that at all, he works fast and is focused, but he doesn't yell at anyone.

"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Obviously, in a side-by-side taste test, someone with a trained palate can tell the difference between fish that has never been frozen and fish that has. And I'm sure that those gifted with a very discriminating palate could identify in most preparations if the fish has been frozen. No big news there.

I still think the local chef in that episode got a raw deal from Ramsey. I thought his handling of large fish was completely appropriate, assuming they weren't selling the frozen portions as fresh. The issue isn't "is frozen as good as fresh", it's "what's the best way of managing stock when a fish portions into more than you can sell while fresh." I suppose it's less of an issue nowadays. My impression is that most wild-caught fish available on the market nowadays are much smaller than they were 30 years ago. Back then, a typical Chinook might produce 40+ portions, a Halibut, 100+.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote