question for you guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
Why do i see most recipies like chicken or beef use the oven to cook? well at least i see everyone bake. Everything i cook is pan cooked. cept whole chicken lol

baking meats like chicken breasts. like for some recipies it requires the chicken to be stuck in the oven at certain temp, but i can easily just use a pan to cook the chicken and itll have the same flavour and quicker cook time

Using the oven is more traditional, more "americana". Likewise I know few people who can actually sautee. Of course the oven is a great tool for chicken and beef and such, it's just a little harder to master since you cant open the oven every 5 minutes and check.

Im starting to figure out weight vs cooking times and all that but I still usually check the internet first.

A lot of us are older, with "health concerns" over fried foods...

Further, in many instances, "broasted", "roasted" or "baked" simply "tastes better"...

Lifter

Just depends on your cooking methods, style, and time. I love to sautee', but the oven gives you a nice break if you are making a large meal. It kind of buys you time, when you are making more than one thing.

i know a lot of cooks finish seared meats in the oven so it cooks through without burning on the outside.

A good, deep frying pan (what is the correct word? One that looks like a skillet, but is at least a couple inches deep and has a good, fitted lid) can take care of a lot of foods that supposedly need to be finished in the oven. Just cover and move to a low burner. I do this often rather than turn the oven on, especially in the summer. You have to understand that many recipes are geared to feeding a lot more people than most of us do any more -- big roasts, and as you mentioned, whole birds.

quality time in the oven also equates to tenderizing. i also think of baking or roasting as 'hot marinating'.

masteraznchefjr said:
Why do i see most recipies like chicken or beef use the oven to cook? well at least i see everyone bake. Everything i cook is pan cooked. cept whole chicken lol

My grill pan just isn't the same, and I'm not about to go drag the grill out when it's 0 degrees outside! ;)

I do use use the cook top and a pan quite a bit as well, though.

John

There are some recipes where you could adopt another way of cooking. We take recipes that call for cooking in the oven and cook it on the smoker. The smoker isn't anything but an outdoor oven. An oven in which you can add smoke for additional flavor if you like.

And you can cook so many things in your outdoor oven too.

Pizza, desserts, to name a couple.

We have cooked crown roast of lamb, chicken, prime rib, tenderloins, london broil, turkey, pork chops, potatoes, desserts on our grill and or smoker.

Another good oven to cook in is a cast iron dutch oven.

Our favorite cooked in the dutch oven is pineapple upside down cake.
I need to practice and learn to make bread in them.

xmaspineapple.JPG

oh man 'bug, you just reminded me of a scout trip out west when i was a kid. i went to philmont in new mexico, and our guide was this tiny litlle wirey guy that we all teased because he was smaller than us, at our ripe old age of 13. actually, we probably would have teased him even if he was john wayne, because we were 13 or so.
but after guiding us out of base camp for a few days, we were all worn out from the 10 mile per day hikes with full packs, but the guide (i think we knicknamed him "chisum") kept going strong. then, on his last night with us, he pulls a full sized cast iron dutch oven out of his pack, and made us a peach cobbler from some cans of peaches he also carried. we were all amazed at how heavy his pack was, and stopped teasing him as we devoured the best cobbler i've ever had in my life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom