Question: Making Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulani

Assistant Cook
Right now, I am making KFC Bowl for lunch. I got popcorn chickens, corns, and mashed potatoes hot and ready, but not the gravy. I have a can of beef broth but no cornstarch. Can I use flour to substitute cornstarch to make gravy or make something that can thicken to make it looks like a gravy?

Yes, you can use flour and fat (i.e. butter, oil) in equal proportions to make a roux. I usually use butter. Take two tablespoons of butter and melt it in a pot, add two tablespoons of flour to it. Mix the two together an let it cook for about 30 seconds, but make sure it doesn't scorch. Then add the room temperature broth to it, whisking it into the roux while you pour. When it starts to boil is should begin to thicken. Make sure you stir it occasionally. Also, I suggest adding a teaspoon of dried thyme, a small dried bay leaf, pepper, and maybe a clove of garlic to it while it simmers. Good luck!

To make sue that my gravy is silky smooth, I slowly whisk the broth into the roux. Taht way, I can control how thick I want it to be. It gets very, very thick at first, but as you continue to whisk in the broth, it thins perfectly, and with no lumps.:chef:

Add a bit of black pepper, and a little extra chicken bullion to it, with a pinch of sage, and you will have something that tastes very much like KFC gravy.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hope you have salad for your next meal.

And yes, gravy is traditionally made with flour and not cornstarch.

And Sir Loin is right, use chicken broth,

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
Uh, you should be using chicken broth, not beef. It's called Kentucky Fried Chicken for a reason!

÷ 1 to Chicken Broth

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom