Question on cooking oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rick32

Assistant Cook
Hi newbie here. The wife got me a new deep fryer. The kids love chicken wings. (buffalo wings are big in my area) i was wondering what the best cooking oil is to use healthwise. On my first batch i used crisco shortening. I know theres peanut oil, olive oil and the like but what is the best as far as flavor and health? I know opinions vary, just looking for a referance point.....Thanks:)

Hey rick!

Welcome to DC!! I personally prefer peanut followed closely by canola!
Fried foods are not really bad for you. BAD fried foods are bad for you.

Enjoy!

Try some peanut oil.

If you fry the food at a hot enough of a temperature little oil is going to get into the food.

i echo the sentiments of my fellow dc'ers
peanut is the way to go
high burning point
less smoking
longer life (of oil)
foaming is a sign of oil degradation

I prefer Canola oil for deep frying. It is a neutral oil with a high smoke point, and it is less expensive than peanut oil.

I use a mixture of Vegetable and Olive Oil blend. Doesn't last long but I have a large supply of it ( a few leftover bottles at my workplace ). Couldnt turn it down, it wasnt being used.

I actually prefer Peanut, tastes better than blends and lasts a bit longer.

Peanut oil, here. I like the flavour. Canola oil is fine, but more flavour neutral.

Hi, rick. Welcome to DC.

Vegetable shortening is not a good choice. It has a low smoke point and is high in trans fats.

As mentioned, neutral flavored oils with high smoke points are best. Peanut, canola and corn oils are all good candidates.

Olive oil has a nice flavor but also has a lower smoke point. Vegetable oil is a mystery oil as you cannot be sure what's in it and therefore what the smoke point is.

Uncle Bob said:
Fried foods are not really bad for you. BAD fried foods are bad for you.

Enjoy!

I'm not certain I understand this... can I get some clarification?

Thanks!

evenstranger said:
I'm not certain I understand this... can I get some clarification?

Thanks!
If fried foods are prepared properly (cooked at the correct temp for the correct amount of time) then they absorb very little oil and thus are not as bad for you as bad fried food which has been cooked at the wrong temp/time thus absorbing a lot of oil and being less healthy for you.

Uncle Bob said:
Yep, we are both members of the DC family!

I love it! This forum IS like a family! Everybody "feeds" off of everyone else (pun intended) :-p . I wish I had more time to spend online with my newest family. You'll love it here rick32.

I agree with the majority too. I use Canola for all my frying. Good neutral flavor that won't spoil the spicing of your food.

i love wings too, but i don't fry them on the stove top.

i drizzle mine with canola oil in a big mixing bowl and season them lightly with salt/pepper, granulated garlic, and cinnamon. then, i give the whole bunch a nice "massage" in a huuuuuge mixing bowl-making sure all have a light coating of oil and seasoning.

then, off to a 425 F oven.

about 45 min later, they are crispy-just as if i fried them. a LOT less oil, easier to cook, etc.

try it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom