Question on Good Eats Show (fried chicken)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i just finished watching Good Eats with A-B, and at the beginning of the show, he mentioned using some type of material under the cutting board to PREVENT it from moving... but i didn't hear him clearly.

he said it was some material used to keep your china from sliding in the cabinets, and you can place it under the cutting board (plastic) to prevent it from moving while you chop @ the bird.

does someone know the name of that material?

i don't know that it has an official name, but when you cut it sort of looks like a foam substance, and has a decent amount of give to it. If you stop at any hobby or crafts store they should have it, and most hardware stores should as well.

It's a cushioned rubber foam material that is sold as shelf liner. I have a roll of it that I cut pieces from for my cutting boards. I don;t like it for lining shelves.

I use that foam stuff under my cutting board all the time. It works great to keep the board from sliding. Two years ago a cutting board I was using slid off the counter and landed edge down on my bare foot. It was a Corian board. I won't go into the details but I learned to use the foam that day. BTW, I also use them as placemats on my patio table. They don't blow away and they also keep dishes from sliding on my glasstop patio table. I don't use it to line shelves. I need to be able to slide glassware and dishes onto my shelf or move them over easily. The foam prevents this.

I started using the foam placemats a while back myself. I was always taught to use a damp towel. However, that's not really practical at home.

If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, look where they sell silverware, and they may have some foam placemats there. The mats are dirt-cheap, to.

They have that stuff in the grocery stores here (Publix) but you probably can get it in Target or K-mart too.

We use them to line the cabinets in our Airstream to keep things from sliding too much while traveling. Works for them most part.

I love that stuff but don't use it under cutting boards because I don't want to figure out how to wash it effectively. I do use under my keyboard and mousepad.

skilletlicker said:
I love that stuff but don't use it under cutting boards because I don't want to figure out how to wash it effectively. I do use under my keyboard and mousepad.

The easiest way to wash it, skillet, is to put it into a zippered mesh bag and throw it into a cold water wash in your washer. I do that all the time. Take it out of the bag. Shake the excess water out of it and drape it over a line or hang it over a towel to dry. Good as new. I've been doing this for years.

Once a week or so I do a load of wash just for kitchen towels, dish cloths, pot holders and these foam pads for the cutting boards. I just toss them all into the washer with the detergent and a cup of bleach in the dispenser and go. Then it all goes into the dryer. No problems.

I also use the shelf liner to keep my cutting boards from sliding around. They're good for opening jar lids too. I saw another tip on good eats about using them to peel garlic, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I also use a 5-foot section on each side of our bed between the mattress and box springs to keep the sheets from "creeping." I have another section underneath the the cushions of my breakfast room chairs to keep the cushions from sliding around.

Katie E said:
I also use a 5-foot section on each side of our bed between the mattress and box springs to keep the sheets from "creeping." I have another section underneath the the cushions of my breakfast room chairs to keep the cushions from sliding around.

Thanks for the tip, Katie! I have been trying to find a solution to this very problem with my mattress!

Back
Top Bottom