Question on olive oil shelf life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I use olive oil for a face wash (works wonders!). I keep my "bathroom bottle" under the sink and it has not gone rancid.

Over Thanksgiving, I went out of town and put a small amount in a container (Gladware) to take with. I've been using the oil out of that to use it up. Last night, I found a small amount of mold close to the top of the container. The oil didn't smell funny and had no mold in it, though.

Why would that mold, but not the original bottle?

Maybe something was on your hands that you didn't even, or couldn't even see one time when you used it - maybe there was a little something stuck in the container. I truly don't think it would hurt anything. Just remove the fleck with a dry, clean spoon.

I was thinking it might have been a "not so clean" dish. I just dumped it, there wasn't much left. Thanks!

I'm intrigued by your face wash too. Do you remove residue with soap or just leave it as a moisturiser?

Sometimes I use eye makeup remover and sometimes I don't...depends on how much I'm wearing!! I just put a dime size amount in my hands, rub in on my face and then place a hot wet washcloth on my face for a few seconds, then wipe it off! I do this at night. In the morning I wash my face in the shower with my shampoo (yeah, I know..) and then use a bit of the olive oil as a moisturizer once I get out.

No more expensive cleansers for this face.

I'm 35 and still get zits here and there, but since I started using this, the amount and frequency of the zits has been less, and my face feels great!

Angie that is very interesting to use Olive Oil on your face - I will have to try it.

I was once told to put Olive Oil on the inside of the refrigerator to keep the rubber from hardening.

I have had a jar of Olive Oil for at least 10 years and it is still good.

Back
Top Bottom