Question regarding deep frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basherrr

Assistant Cook
Hello. I just received a Euro-Pro deep fat fryer for my birthday! Thanks :) I am relatively new to cooking in general. Only 25 and a guy and experimenting in the kitchen. I felt it was necessary to upgrade to a self-contained frying unit for safety reasons, as well as temperature assurance. My problem is that everything that I coat with a batter sticks to the basket. Especially when I am making onion rings and stuff, the batter drips below the basket and expands underneath making a mess when I try and remove them. Is there some sort of solution to this? I was thinking of just lining the bottom of the basket with aluminum foil. Would that work? Thanks.

Mike

At my work when we have to put something into the fryer than needs a wet batter coating, (fish for example) I have to dip them into the fryer as much as I can without burning my hand or touching the fish to the basket and hold for about 15 seconds.

Welcome to DC.

See, that's exactly what I don't want to do :/ It's a relatively small fryer and dipping things like onion rings seems almost impossible. Also, my penchant for drinking while in the kitchen could lead to terrible results.

Bahaha.
You could use a pair of tongs or something, and take a bunch of onion rings at once.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I just put "metal tongs" on my shopping list just a half hour ago. LoLz :P But what do you think about the aluminum foil concept? I'm not going to give myself alzheimer's with that, am I?

Gobo is right on. That is the way to do it. If you are making onion rings then try using a chopstick to lower them into the oil.

Also, my penchant for drinking while in the kitchen could lead to terrible results.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Here's a thought: when I've used my deep fryer, I exclusively use Tempura batter, since it doesn't drip and is much easier to control. I use it for fish, veggies, etc. It may be worth a shot. Also, if you do try the Tempura, the most important thing to remember is this: make it, according to directions, then put it into the fridge, while you're cutting up your food. (I keep it in a glass 4-cup measuring cup - the kind with a spout an a handle) Then, before you take it out of the fridge, get a larger bowl, fill it halfway with ice and put the handle of the measuring cup over the top of the bowl. Then fill the big bowl with water till it's high enough to keep all the batter inside the cup, cold. The colder the Tempura, the crispier your batter will be.
I've tried this method while drinking, and it works just fine.;)

But what do you think about the aluminum foil concept? I'm not going to give myself alzheimer's with that, am I?
Nope. There has never been anything that showed it caused Alzheimer. There were some concerns a while ago, but none of them ever panned out.

Tempura batter sounds excellent. I've eaten it, but never tried using it myself. That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for your help :)

Just to add a point. Make sure your basket has come up to the same temp. as the oil.
And I use a chinese?/japanese? type wire basket to lower the food into fryer. Shoot, I can't remember what they call that utensil.

The only thing is that I got the fryer for convenience, safety and speed. Open top with no basket kind of negates the first two. But if there's no other way, then no problem.

I have exactly that problem with making doughnuts. It is difficult to prevent them from sticking to the basket. What I do is try to minimise the amount of liquid I put in them. This makes them easier to handle. I put them in the oil with two spoons. First I take a take a spoonful of doughnut batter and hold it just above the oil. I used the other spoon to push the batter off the first spoon.

For onion rings you could hang one on a fork(or hold with a tongs as somebody already suggested) with a spoon under to catch the drips.Then lower the spoon and fork into the hot oil. After a few seconds the batter will hopefully be cooked just enough to prevent it from sinking and sticking to the basket. :)

Coincidentally, I just put "metal tongs" on my shopping list just a half hour ago. LoLz :P But what do you think about the aluminum foil concept? I'm not going to give myself alzheimer's with that, am I?

That might just cause more awkwardness. The foil might float to the top or obstruct the oil from getting into the basket.... I would just get good at deep frying. Just a matter of practice before you get nifty with it. ;)

Another thing you can do is make a large batch of whatevers in batter and then freeze them. Take a few out when you need them. Frozen items are much easier to get into the hot oil without making a mess. If you do freeze things then sprinkle bread crumbs on the batter to prevent them sticking to the container you are freezing them in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom