"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Master Chef

Question regarding popcorn also

Ok........I'm going through some of my community cookbooks and drooling over the carmel corn recipes.........thats a weakness for me. I was thinking it was probably best to buy the kernals and pop it myself. The problem is.... How the heck do I know how much I'm suppose to cook? Or should I just use the bagged microwave popcorn and measure that out once its popped? If I used the microwave kind, do I use the buttered flavored or what?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I wouldn't use the microwave kind, too much salt and butter flavour already added. If I remember right. 1/2 cup of kernels will make about 6 cups of popped in my air popper. (I use it for filler when packing up prezzies for shipping.)

Old 07-26-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I agree with DaCook, microwave popcorn is probably not the way to go. Making it on the stove tastes so much better. Best ask luckytrim, I think he's our popcorn expert (he posts a lot of popcorn recipes anyway). Look here for a video http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/cvt042.asp on caramel popcorn.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Oh dear...and we have just discovered the delights of American sachets of corn ready to be popped in the microwave! Well at least I have just discovered it, stepsons tell me ' get with it...we have been eating this for years when there is a game on TV!!'. Duuuuuhhhhh
I have to admit, the extra white butter one is yummy. This is an old non popcorn lover speaking.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm pretty sure they sell unsalted and unflavored microwave popcorn. You could try using that if you don't want to use the stovetop method.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCook
I wouldn't use the microwave kind, too much salt and butter flavour already added. If I remember right. 1/2 cup of kernels will make about 6 cups of popped in my air popper. (I use it for filler when packing up prezzies for shipping.)
I have one of those popcorm machines.........forgot about it. I only bring it out at Christmas time to make popcorn strands for the tree. Thanks for the reminder on that one. Now to go find a site that will convert cups and quarts. Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I might also add when making Carmel corn that it's easier and nicer to use a "Mushroom" style of Popcorn instead of the standard "Butterfly" popcorn. I had to purchase mine online.. Do a quick search for "Mushroom Popcorn" on Google and you should find out more information. It's used by manufacturers for Kettle Corn and Carmel corn..

I didn't have much to add other than its worth a try.. Not as much breakage, and a nice tender popcorn kernel.

-Brad
Old 07-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc
I might also add when making Carmel corn that it's easier and nicer to use a "Mushroom" style of Popcorn instead of the standard "Butterfly" popcorn. I had to purchase mine online.. Do a quick search for "Mushroom Popcorn" on Google and you should find out more information. It's used by manufacturers for Kettle Corn and Carmel corn..

I didn't have much to add other than its worth a try.. Not as much breakage, and a nice tender popcorn kernel.

-Brad
Wow....didn't realize there was a difference till you just pointed it out. But now that I think about it they are different in shape.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I've never actually located in a Market, but I always make sure I have it on hand when making either Carmel Corn or Kettle Corn.

This place shows the difference:
http://www.preferredpopcorn.com/bulk.php

Here's what I actually order:
http://www.popcornpopper.com/41411.html
Old 07-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Master Chef

Don't know if I should post this here or not, move it if you have to, but has anyone used the Presto Power Pop microwave multi-popper that has Orville Redenbocker's stamp of approval? I bought mine at WalMart for around $18 and it works great! Don't know if it's okay to post a site but I just went to Google and typed in PPPMM and up it came, pictures, user comments. Anyway, as it says it's designed to make popcorn the way you like it---with oil or without, with butter. It also comes with a booklet with hints and recipes. I've used it 3 times and it's made wonderful popcorn!