Question regarding potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terri2337

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone! I just love this forum, and I hope someone can help me out with something. I just purchased a Jamie Oliver cookbook (The Naked Chef) and just took one of his recipies out of the oven. Here is a quote from the recipe he provides:

"Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Cut the potatoes into golf-ball sized pieces, put them into the water with the whole lemon and the garlic cloves, and cook for 12 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for 1 minute (this will give you crispier potatoes), then remove the lemon and garlic. Toss the potatoes in the pan while still hot so their outsides get chuffed up and fluffy--this will make them lovely and crispy when they roast."

First, I wasn't sure what he meant by steam drying. Does that mean just leave them in the pot they were cooked in after draining? Also, I wasn't sure which pan he meant. He didn't mean the roasting pan because the potatoes don't go into the roasting pan until later. Anyway, my potatoes didn't come out crispy, they came out like boiled potatoes. They have a really good flavor, but I'm at a loss as to how they can come out crispy after they've been boiled.

I know it may be hard to answer this question without the entire recipe posted, but I just thought maybe someone has some knowledge about this. Thanks so much!

Terri

Here's how I translate it:

Dump the boiled potatoes into a colander to drain, then set colander of potatoes over the top of the pan, cover, and place pan on low heat.
Then take the lemons and garlic out, and dump potatoes from colander onto foil-covered baking sheet or roasting pan. Bake, un-covered, in a 400F oven until brown and crispy.

I'd have to get some butter involved in there someplace.

If you're going to cook the potatoes before roasting them, I'd recommend doing it in the nuke. (When I bake potatoes, I always do extra, so I'll have them for things like this.) Slice into wedges (or whatever shape) onto foil covered baking sheet, sprinkle with S&P, and drizzle with a mixture of olive oil, melted butter, garlic, and the juice of a fresh lemon. After you take them out of the oven, top with a bit of chopped fresh Italian parsley.

Boiling the potatoes is just the first step.

You are correct about steam drying. JO just means to leave them after draining so more of the moisture will evaporate. The then get roasted in a pan in the oven. The recipe should have instructions for how log and at what temperature to roast them.

Yes, the potatoes and fresh rosemary go into the roasting pan with the chicken after the chicken has cooked about half the time and will mix in with the fat from the chicken.

Thank you so much for those instructions. Next time, I will do that. :chef:

You can always try roasting them separately from the chicken - see if you can bump the heat to about 375 F. and turn occasionally as they brown and crisp up. It could be the chicken isn't cooked at high enough heat to actually let them brown. I bet he cooks with a gas oven that may act differently than an electric, I don't know.

terri2337 said:
Hi Everyone! I just love this forum, and I hope someone can help me out with something. I just purchased a Jamie Oliver cookbook (The Naked Chef) and just took one of his recipies out of the oven. Here is a quote from the recipe he provides:

"Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Cut the potatoes into golf-ball sized pieces, put them into the water with the whole lemon and the garlic cloves, and cook for 12 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for 1 minute (this will give you crispier potatoes), then remove the lemon and garlic. Toss the potatoes in the pan while still hot so their outsides get chuffed up and fluffy--this will make them lovely and crispy when they roast."

First, I wasn't sure what he meant by steam drying. Does that mean just leave them in the pot they were cooked in after draining? Also, I wasn't sure which pan he meant. He didn't mean the roasting pan because the potatoes don't go into the roasting pan until later. Anyway, my potatoes didn't come out crispy, they came out like boiled potatoes. They have a really good flavor, but I'm at a loss as to how they can come out crispy after they've been boiled.

I know it may be hard to answer this question without the entire recipe posted, but I just thought maybe someone has some knowledge about this. Thanks so much!

Terri

Hello Terri:)

To steam dry, I would put them on a tray, after draining after all the water, from them. Leave them there, untill the steam stops comming from them, or until they are cold even.
To make them crisp, I would spray or brush them with a little oil, before putting them in the oven. Also, make sure the oven is very hot, before puttting them in.
That lemon and garlic idea is such a good one. I will try that, when I am making roast potatos.

Mel

To steam dry those spuds...drain and put back into same pan they were cooked in. Place over LOW heat for a minute or two, covered, and shake pan every few seconds, The heat will drive off any liquid clinging to potatos. Then use as directed. This is what Jamie means. :) IMO and Im a stickin' to it! ;)

Edited to add: You can lightly fork the potatos after they are cooked to create more surface for crisping! I always par boil and then fork my roasting spuds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom