"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Questions about: cooking chicken, baking bread, and olive oil

So I have a few questions about the topics in the thread title.

So why dont I start talking about bread first since I just finished baking my first bread ever?! :D I used jim Lahey's no knead bread recipe. I'm not sure if he's tweaked it a little which mad it famous, or if he's just gotten an old recipe and made it popular. I know the method is one that has been used in Europe for centuries, but anywho. I guess I went with too many whole weat products. I used whole wheat flower, and wheat bran. The bread wasn't all to bad. A bit crusty, and very fiberious... Maybe too much fiber.. But with some goat cheese it's actually pretty good. How would I go about making the bread more moist? Do I add more water? some research on the topic has suggested to use oil, though I'd prefer to stay away from that. I like to make whatever I make as healthy as possible. Anyone know if adding honey would help?

As far as chicken goes, I've come to learn how to fry chicken breast and get a product where the chicken is very soft and easy to eat. not to mention delicious. I've had some ideas for a chicken soup lately that I'd like to start working towards. I'm aiming for a similar chicken quality. Soft, flavorful, and very easy to chew on. I hate dry chicken! I love it when your teeth just sink into it with ease and chewing is even easier. So how would I go about doing this? I'm looking to make the size of my chicken pieces somewhere between small and medium. But yeah, please let me know on how I should go about cooking the chicken. I'm a 20 year old guy who pretty much has no experience in cooking. Lately I've picked up the hobby, and I've come to really enjoy it and it's something I'm slowly exploring.

I have a question about olive oil as well. What is the point of virgin olive oil? Does the oil taste more like olive the more virgin it gets? Im a big fan of olives, and sometimes I'd like something I'm making to have a subtle taste of olive from the oil, but then it ends up tasting like olives because of the oil. Is this a problem caused by the specific oil I'm using, or are all olive oils like this?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

lots of questions and you will get lots of answers. but for now i will just say welcome to d.c.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Hi Zep, with regards to your bread questions, you may find this thread helpful:

Just plain bread?

I started it when I just recently undertook baking bread for the first time myself.

Welcome!

Tags
baking, bread, chicken, cooking, oil