"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

Talking Questions for the Chefs...

I'm not familiar with who really is a chef in here and who isn't but I wanted to ask this question.

When someone returns food because they are not satisfied with it how does it effect you and how do you deal with it??

How does it make you feel when someone sends compliments on a dish you made? (I got a free desert once for doing so and really I just wanted them to know it was superb, lol)

Old 08-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm not a chef, but I saw a hidden camera with a disgusting report on one of the news magazines of what some chefs do to returned food. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw it.

That was lovely that you were given a dessert for the compliment!! Very classy of the chef, and smart too. I'm sure you've told local people about the nice experience at his place.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm not a chef, but I saw a hidden camera with a disgusting report on one of the news magazines of what some chefs do to returned food. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw it.
That's a shame. No chef with any class at all would do anything nasty to someone's food.

The chef who trained me would always fix the perceived problem and then deliver the new plate to the customer for their approval. If still not satisfied, he would offer to make them anything else on the menu at no cost to them. That's class.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
...The chef who trained me would always fix the perceived problem and then deliver the new plate to the customer for their approval. If still not satisfied, he would offer to make them anything else on the menu at no cost to them. That's class.
Clearly a man who know how to treat customers.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Head Chef

As far as I go, no one here at DC is a pro, but a lot of posters are better than.

I've asked waiters to pass back a compliment. Just a delicious thank-you. Only once was I miffed enough to complain and refuse a plate after a few bites. Phyllo tougher than cardboard. Done. No alternate dishes, no desserts, or apologies. No helpfully negative yelp reviews, too. Just no more patronage. Thankful when the restaurant inevitably closes.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I wouldn't have lasted long in a restaurant that treated their customers with disdain. I worked for one "Chef" who would tell people they just didn't know good food or they weren't hungry. He was a jerk, I told him so!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Clearly a man who know how to treat customers.
It upset Henri when someone complained. It happened very, very seldom, and he would get upset and start mumbling in French while he tried to make the dish in a manner they wanted. It was usually just a small difference, but he could always tell what they expected from their description of what they didn't like.

He would tell me; "My medium well may be their well done. If that is the problem, then I will make it as they like it!"

He would be a wreck until they left. He had a place he could stand where he could see them, but they could not see him. He would task another chef to do his cooking while he watched them finish their meal. If they continued to *look* upset, he would put his suit jacket back on and politely ask them if he could do anything more for them.

If they remained upset with the meal and left that way, Henri would be a bear for the rest of the night! Talking under his breath in French and slamming things in the kitchen. Everyone on staff knew to just stay clear of him when he was upset like that. It upset him greatly when someone didn't love his food.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I was in the 3 starred Chez Nico when the great chef grabbed a man on the next table and threw him out because the waiter reported him for adding salt to his dish before tasting it.
Nico makes Ramsey look like Paddington Bear.
I was also in Langans when the great Peter Langan threw up over a diner to show his displeasure.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I was in the 3 starred Chez Nico when the great chef grabbed a man on the next table and threw him out because the waiter reported him for adding salt to his dish before tasting it.
Nico makes Ramsey look like Paddington Bear.
I was also in Langans when the great Peter Langan threw up over a diner to show his displeasure.
I'm not sure that I wouldn't have thrown that chef who threw up on the diner, had I been the diner. Judo is a great thing to know at times. At the very least, I would have reported him to a health agency and gotten him fired. And if a chef ever grabbed me and tried to throw me out, he would have had his hands full as well.

There is no excuse for that behavior. To be sure, I would taste any food before adding more seasoning, even steak sauce to a great steak. I need to know what the food tastes like before I alter it.

The people you mentioned are egotistical maniacs, and don't deserve the titles they have. Humility and a genuine desire to please your customers is what makes a great chef great. Anyone can cook great, or even spectacular food, if given the right training, tools, and ingredients. But a try artist is one who gives of him/herself to bring enjoyment to others.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't go to very many restaurants, unfortunately. When I do, I am generally inclined to ask the host/server about what the specialty is. If it sounds good, I will ask for it and indicate that I would prefer the chef to prepare it as he thinks best. I have yet to be disappointed.