Questions for the Chefs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
I'm not familiar with who really is a chef in here and who isn't but I wanted to ask this question.

When someone returns food because they are not satisfied with it how does it effect you and how do you deal with it??

How does it make you feel when someone sends compliments on a dish you made? (I got a free desert once for doing so and really I just wanted them to know it was superb, lol)

I'm not a chef, but I saw a hidden camera with a disgusting :sick: report on one of the news magazines of what some chefs do to returned food. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw it.

That was lovely that you were given a dessert for the compliment!! Very classy of the chef, and smart too. I'm sure you've told local people about the nice experience at his place.

I'm not a chef, but I saw a hidden camera with a disgusting :sick: report on one of the news magazines of what some chefs do to returned food. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw it.

That's a shame. No chef with any class at all would do anything nasty to someone's food.

The chef who trained me would always fix the perceived problem and then deliver the new plate to the customer for their approval. If still not satisfied, he would offer to make them anything else on the menu at no cost to them. That's class.

...The chef who trained me would always fix the perceived problem and then deliver the new plate to the customer for their approval. If still not satisfied, he would offer to make them anything else on the menu at no cost to them. That's class.

Clearly a man who know how to treat customers.

As far as I go, no one here at DC is a pro, but a lot of posters are better than.

I've asked waiters to pass back a compliment. Just a delicious thank-you. Only once was I miffed enough to complain and refuse a plate after a few bites. Phyllo tougher than cardboard. Done. No alternate dishes, no desserts, or apologies. No helpfully negative yelp reviews, too. Just no more patronage. Thankful when the restaurant inevitably closes.

I wouldn't have lasted long in a restaurant that treated their customers with disdain. I worked for one "Chef" who would tell people they just didn't know good food or they weren't hungry. He was a jerk, I told him so!

Clearly a man who know how to treat customers.

It upset Henri when someone complained. It happened very, very seldom, and he would get upset and start mumbling in French while he tried to make the dish in a manner they wanted. It was usually just a small difference, but he could always tell what they expected from their description of what they didn't like.

He would tell me; "My medium well may be their well done. If that is the problem, then I will make it as they like it!"

He would be a wreck until they left. He had a place he could stand where he could see them, but they could not see him. He would task another chef to do his cooking while he watched them finish their meal. If they continued to *look* upset, he would put his suit jacket back on and politely ask them if he could do anything more for them.

If they remained upset with the meal and left that way, Henri would be a bear for the rest of the night! Talking under his breath in French and slamming things in the kitchen. Everyone on staff knew to just stay clear of him when he was upset like that. It upset him greatly when someone didn't love his food.

I was in the 3 starred Chez Nico when the great chef grabbed a man on the next table and threw him out because the waiter reported him for adding salt to his dish before tasting it.
Nico makes Ramsey look like Paddington Bear.
I was also in Langans when the great Peter Langan threw up over a diner to show his displeasure.

I was in the 3 starred Chez Nico when the great chef grabbed a man on the next table and threw him out because the waiter reported him for adding salt to his dish before tasting it.
Nico makes Ramsey look like Paddington Bear.
I was also in Langans when the great Peter Langan threw up over a diner to show his displeasure.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't have thrown that chef who threw up on the diner, had I been the diner. Judo is a great thing to know at times. At the very least, I would have reported him to a health agency and gotten him fired. And if a chef ever grabbed me and tried to throw me out, he would have had his hands full as well.

There is no excuse for that behavior. To be sure, I would taste any food before adding more seasoning, even steak sauce to a great steak. I need to know what the food tastes like before I alter it.

The people you mentioned are egotistical maniacs, and don't deserve the titles they have. Humility and a genuine desire to please your customers is what makes a great chef great. Anyone can cook great, or even spectacular food, if given the right training, tools, and ingredients. But a try artist is one who gives of him/herself to bring enjoyment to others.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't go to very many restaurants, unfortunately. When I do, I am generally inclined to ask the host/server about what the specialty is. If it sounds good, I will ask for it and indicate that I would prefer the chef to prepare it as he thinks best. I have yet to be disappointed.

There can be many reasons somebody sends things back. Subsequently, there are many reactions to this. If it is a problem with the way it was prepared, then you have to take the blame. Sometimes you miss things and or something in it wasn't prepped right. Then you have to give the customer credit and try and please them. If they send something back that is perfectly good and done the way you like, but just "don't like it" for some reason, then I usually say, too bad. That is our offering, and if you don't happen to like it, take responsibility and either eat it, take it home and give it to somebody else, or throw it out. I don't care. But you can't expect to get your money back when there is nothing wrong with the dish. They should ask questions before ordering to see if there is anything about the dish they may dislike. I don't think the restaurant should take the loss.
As far as compliments go, I feel good about it, but feel that I shouldn't be suprised because I have worked long and hard to hone my skills and after years of cooking, I should be able to produce something above average every day.

That was lovely that you were given a dessert for the compliment!! Very classy of the chef, and smart too. I'm sure you've told local people about the nice experience at his place.

Yes, I tell everyone about how good the food and service is there.

I saw that report and it makes you think.... I've always been one that would rather just make do with what I got if a mistake was made, lol. I've always be leary about sending back food. If I have to, then I am as polite as I can be about it.

That's a shame. No chef with any class at all would do anything nasty to someone's food.

The chef who trained me would always fix the perceived problem and then deliver the new plate to the customer for their approval. If still not satisfied, he would offer to make them anything else on the menu at no cost to them. That's class.

It is a shame but it happens more often than you think. A friend of mine use to work in a cafe where it would happen. She only worked there until she found something else (she was a server). She was too afraid to report it...

It upset Henri when someone complained. It happened very, very seldom, and he would get upset and start mumbling in French while he tried to make the dish in a manner they wanted. It was usually just a small difference, but he could always tell what they expected from their description of what they didn't like.

He would tell me; "My medium well may be their well done. If that is the problem, then I will make it as they like it!"

He would be a wreck until they left. He had a place he could stand where he could see them, but they could not see him. He would task another chef to do his cooking while he watched them finish their meal. If they continued to *look* upset, he would put his suit jacket back on and politely ask them if he could do anything more for them.

If they remained upset with the meal and left that way, Henri would be a bear for the rest of the night! Talking under his breath in French and slamming things in the kitchen. Everyone on staff knew to just stay clear of him when he was upset like that. It upset him greatly when someone didn't love his food.

LOL, I had to send a steak back once. Didn't want to but the waitress made me. She knew I had ordered it well (I know that's looked down upon, lol). It was practically mooing when it came out. I stuff my fork in it and blood puddled the plate. Well, it went and came back not much different. So I wasn't eating it (wasn't about to send it back).

The cook came out and asked me why i wasn't eating it, lol. I told him it's still extremely rare and I didn't want to send it back. He took it again (i didn't even ask him too) and he was annoyed. It came back burned, lol. So I just let it sat there (I was with friends who were eating). Would you believe he came out again and asked what was wrong with it...lol. I told him don't even worry about it. He kind of huffed off. I just didn't go back.

LOL, I had to send a steak back once. Didn't want to but the waitress made me. She knew I had ordered it well (I know that's looked down upon, lol). It was practically mooing when it came out. I stuff my fork in it and blood puddled the plate. Well, it went and came back not much different. So I wasn't eating it (wasn't about to send it back).

The cook came out and asked me why i wasn't eating it, lol. I told him it's still extremely rare and I didn't want to send it back. He took it again (i didn't even ask him too) and he was annoyed. It came back burned, lol. So I just let it sat there (I was with friends who were eating). Would you believe he came out again and asked what was wrong with it...lol. I told him don't even worry about it. He kind of huffed off. I just didn't go back.

I've known people who will only eat a steak that is cooked to the point where it's so well done that it's tough as nails and dry as a bone. I've never quite understood how they could like it that way, but there are as many different food likes and dislikes as there are people in the world.

I've never eaten a flame cooked steak that was very well done, that wasn't also tough and dry. It's the reason most chefs hate to have to cook one that way.

My late wife ate hers that way and I always tried one small bite of hers and never liked it. I file it under; "To each his/her own" and leave it at that.

It's like undercooked eggs where the white is still runny. Gag me out! Some people love them that way! :rolleyes:

If you specify to the waiting staff that you want your steak with absolutely no pink or red anywhere in it, that usually results in a very well done steak (the first time). Then, when it is served, make one cut into the center of the steak to check while the server is still at your table watching. If still underdone, tell them you wish to order a dinner salad and nothing else. In a reputable restaurant, you will not be charged for the steak dinner, but only the salad you ate.

If they insist on your paying for the steak, ask for it to be placed into a "Doggie Bag" and consider it a lesson learned for the price of the meal and never return. Then tell everyone you know about it.

I've known people who will only eat a steak that is cooked to the point where it's so well done that it's tough as nails and dry as a bone. I've never quite understood how they could like it that way, but there are as many different food likes and dislikes as there are people in the world.

I've never eaten a flame cooked steak that was very well done, that wasn't also tough and dry. It's the reason most chefs hate to have to cook one that way.

My late wife ate hers that way and I always tried one small bite of hers and never liked it. I file it under; "To each his/her own" and leave it at that.

It's like undercooked eggs where the white is still runny. Gag me out! Some people love them that way! :rolleyes:

If you specify to the waiting staff that you want your steak with absolutely no pink or red anywhere in it, that usually results in a very well done steak (the first time). Then, when it is served, make one cut into the center of the steak to check while the server is still at your table watching. If still underdone, tell them you wish to order a dinner salad and nothing else. In a reputable restaurant, you will not be charged for the steak dinner, but only the salad you ate.

If they insist on your paying for the steak, ask for it to be placed into a "Doggie Bag" and consider it a lesson learned for the price of the meal and never return. Then tell everyone you know about it.

I usually will make one cut down the middle to see how done it is. I can stand a little pink but when it looks raw in the middle...can't do it.

When I want a good steak I usually go to Applebees. It's always the way you ask for it to be without being tough, my experience anyway. Not many people can cook a steak well done without making it tough, myself included, lol.

......runny eggs..eeeewww!!!

I usually will make one cut down the middle to see how done it is. I can stand a little pink but when it looks raw in the middle...can't do it.

When I want a good steak I usually go to Applebees. It's always the way you ask for it to be without being tough, my experience anyway. Not many people can cook a steak well done without making it tough, myself included, lol.

......runny eggs..eeeewww!!!

When I want great steak, in my town, I forget about restaurants. I go to the butcher, and purchase steaks that I get to inspect, before they are cooked. Then I fire up the charcoal, season to my and my DW's, and kids if they're around, and cook to order. That's the only way I can be sure of the flavor and quality of steak in SSM. I can only dream of good steakhouse steaks.:( But that's OK. I don't pay steakhouse prices. I do have to do the dishes though.:huh:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

After culinary school, I apprenticed with a catering company owned by a woman who was an awesome chef in her own right; however, not the best people or management skills.

We had an order for food to be delivered to a go-kart park - the same meal on two different days. The first day almost all the food came back. Having been the lead on this, I asked if I should call to see what was wrong. She said no, but we are not wasting our time on these people - cover it all and send it back tomorrow instead of redoing it. This went against everything inside me but I had to go with my boss.

It turned out that only half the people showed up the first day and they had double the numbers the next day. But after getting not food-safe reheated day old food, the said not only would they never order from us again, but they would make sure everyone knew about it.

When I started my own catering business I made sure that I checked the good and the bad of every contract I took on.

After culinary school, I apprenticed with a catering company owned by a woman who was an awesome chef in her own right; however, not the best people or management skills.

We had an order for food to be delivered to a go-kart park - the same meal on two different days. The first day almost all the food came back. Having been the lead on this, I asked if I should call to see what was wrong. She said no, but we are not wasting our time on these people - cover it all and send it back tomorrow instead of redoing it. This went against everything inside me but I had to go with my boss.

It turned out that only half the people showed up the first day and they had double the numbers the next day. But after getting not food-safe reheated day old food, the said not only would they never order from us again, but they would make sure everyone knew about it.

When I started my own catering business I made sure that I checked the good and the bad of every contract I took on.

At the least you got to learn from her mistake? It made you better for your own business...

Back
Top Bottom