"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
@catpat----- I'll do that, thanks for the info. (What I mean is, I'll do it tomorrow. LOL)
Oh wait! Here is "Meals In Minutes."

Meals in Minutes - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

I forgot about this.

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

I forgot about this.

With love,
~Cat
Great catch, Cat! Perfect!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Cave, I too have the same problem. but I don't let that stop me. I have to make an apple pie for my SIL. I have ten apples I have to peel. I will peel a couple, put them in a large bowl of water with lemon juice, ten sit down for about five or ten minutes. Once the pain from my hip and spine has subsided, I will get up and do a little more. It may take my longer than the average cook, but I refuse to give in to something I have no control over. Try to plan dishes that will allow you to sit down while preparing some of the foods. Get a kitchen stool. I have a lovely red one that I love dearly. The only things I can't do that I was able to do 15 years ago is vacuum and ride a bicycle. And I will be 75 in March.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I do a lot of my cooking like you do Addie. I do a little bit until I start getting warning pains, immediately sit down a for a few minutes and get up again and continue. The trick I've learned is taking warning pains seriously and stopping what I'm doing immediately. If I do that, I don't end up with ongoing pain that may take weeks to get rid of.

I just remind myself that I'm retired and not to push myself.

It's also why I like to make long cooking dishes like beans. Once it's started, I can relax and smell the ongoing process all day.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I do a lot of my cooking like you do Addie. I do a little bit until I start getting warning pains, immediately sit down a for a few minutes and get up again and continue. The trick I've learned is taking warning pains seriously and stopping what I'm doing immediately. If I do that, I don't end up with ongoing pain that may take weeks to get rid of.

I just remind myself that I'm retired and not to push myself.

It's also why I like to make long cooking dishes like beans. Once it's started, I can relax and smell the ongoing process all day.
A couple of years ago I made my very first New Year's resolution. To not be so stubborn. It is an ongoing lifetime problem for me. Hard to admit I am not 20 y. o. anymore. But I work on it everyday. Forcing myself to sit down when the pain starts is getting easier though. I only choose chores and food that allow me to sit more than stand. My apartment is arranged with that in mind. I can find a place to sit within five steps if need be. I love living in a studio apartment. I just wish they didn't have a carpet in here.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm glad you've figured it out too, Addie. I just add these things to my personal list of limitations. It works so well just learning to quit and take a break, and you know what, Addie? It doesn't make any difference that the job I'm trying to accomplish isn't done right away, it get's done eventually, and it didn't matter that I didn't get it done on some schedule. It got done anyway, and I didn't get a longtime backache either.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

I forgot about this.

With love,
~Cat
Perfect! That will do the trick. Thank you so much for finding it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Head Chef

To the others that posted, Addie, Zhizara------ I've learned most of those 'tricks' out of necessity. Now I just have to remember to implement them---- like doing what cooking chores I can earlier in the day, bit by bit if they can be, and not wait until about 4-5 p.m. to start. That's when my pain and other ills start kicking in more and, of course, that's when I start preparing my dinner! I'm my own worst enemy!

60 years of cooking habits (I'm 80 now) can't be eliminated quickly! Sigh

If I only had a larger freezer I could prepare several meals of the same thing at once---- but it's too small.

Enough with the 'but ifs', cave----- and get on with it! I do enjoy this site (DC) and it's a pleasure to be here when I should be preparing dinner!!!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Master Chef

I would be glad if I still could prepare my dinner when I'm 80....

I think you all can be proud of yourself that you are still able to live your own life!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cave, I too have the same problem. but I don't let that stop me. I have to make an apple pie for my SIL. I have ten apples I have to peel. I will peel a couple, put them in a large bowl of water with lemon juice, ten sit down for about five or ten minutes. Once the pain from my hip and spine has subsided, I will get up and do a little more. It may take my longer than the average cook, but I refuse to give in to something I have no control over. Try to plan dishes that will allow you to sit down while preparing some of the foods. Get a kitchen stool. I have a lovely red one that I love dearly. The only things I can't do that I was able to do 15 years ago is vacuum and ride a bicycle. And I will be 75 in March.
15 min before you start, take a half a vicodin. I thought we were getting in front of this pain thing. Taking a vicodin before you are in pain is very helpful for you getting more done of those things you want to do, then you take the second half, sit for fifteen and back at it.

I want YOU to manage your pain, not let your pain manage you. Tell Poo I said so and ask him if I am right. (scolding over)

Love you, you know that