"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
@ MadCook------ that 'perch' sounds like something I could use. Can you remember anything else about it so I can go searching the Internet? I'll look in the Adaptive Devices links on Google to see what comes up,

The reason I don't use a stool is the fixed height and the hard seat. Can I say coccyx? Of course a pillow or special pad would help.

The strangest thing----- when first taken ill and attendant woes with sitting I kept thinking about sitting in my English saddle. (Go figure) My husband brought in a saw horse and put the saddle on it----- I managed to get onto it and wow----much less pain, even without having a back.

Riding English style demands that a person sit in a 'perfect position' that can't be done on any chair! Naturally I don't have my English saddle here. LOL Or my horse.
Google "perching stool" or "perching chair" . There are several entries. I don't know if the American Red Cross operates that same as the British Red Cross but it might be worth asking them for recommendations or they may have a medical loans scheme.

(There is also a Scandinavian designed "kneeling stool" but it looks uncomfortable to me and I would think that it puts pressure on your knees
and hips. It's expensive too!)

I know what you mean about your English saddle.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
@ MadCook------ that 'perch' sounds like something I could use. Can you remember anything else about it so I can go searching the Internet? I'll look in the Adaptive Devices links on Google to see what comes up,

The reason I don't use a stool is the fixed height and the hard seat. Can I say coccyx? Of course a pillow or special pad would help.

The strangest thing----- when first taken ill and attendant woes with sitting I kept thinking about sitting in my English saddle. (Go figure) My husband brought in a saw horse and put the saddle on it----- I managed to get onto it and wow----much less pain, even without having a back.

Riding English style demands that a person sit in a 'perfect position' that can't be done on any chair! Naturally I don't have my English saddle here. LOL Or my horse.
I've just Googled the American Red Cross and many of their branches do have a temporary loan service so it might be worth approaching them to see if they can lend you one to try then you can buy one if it suits you.

Might be worth looking on Ebay, too. Or do you have "Freecyle" in America? It's an on-line free recycling system where if you need something you put a wanted ad on the website or if you want to get rid of something you can offer it. Everything has to be offered free .

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #33
Head Chef

I just googled perching stool. Seems that's an UK name for all the hits (at least on the first page) were from the UK. (Shipping cost would be prohibitive, but the price is certainly right!)

But I'll keep looking for something that useful has to be made in the U.S.

It looks as if that would work for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kneeling stool! Yeah I bought one when all the rage and when I was a lot younger------I hated it! And you're right----would not be good for the knees!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
Head Chef

@MadCook---- What a sweetheart looking up the American Red Cross. I'll start with that after my nap. I AM a senior, you know. (grin)
Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Just for the record, I'm 50 Years of chronic illness have taken their toll, though.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I found this .. might be what you are needing.

Angled Kitchen Perching Stool - elderstore.com

Boy there are a lot of options out there but most are horribly expensive.

Good luck in your search .. let us know what you decide.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is the one I want when I am ready:
Adjustable Height Stools | Gold Violin
Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #38
Head Chef

Mrs LMB and PF------ Yay! Thanks for those links. I will definitely look into them. First I'll see if I can borrow one (Red Cross or ??) to see how they work for me in my tiny, narrow kitchen.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Google "perching stool" or "perching chair" . There are several entries. I don't know if the American Red Cross operates that same as the British Red Cross but it might be worth asking them for recommendations or they may have a medical loans scheme.

(There is also a Scandinavian designed "kneeling stool" but it looks uncomfortable to me and I would think that it puts pressure on your knees
and hips. It's expensive too!)

I know what you mean about your English saddle.
I had a kneeling stool back in the '80s. It was very comfortable. Then one day while I was doing something on the computer, sitting in my kneel chair, the doorbell rang. I stood up, and fell down, all tangled in the danged chair. Never used it again.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I found this .. might be what you are needing.

Angled Kitchen Perching Stool - elderstore.com

Boy there are a lot of options out there but most are horribly expensive.

Good luck in your search .. let us know what you decide.
Yes, that's the thing I meant

$60 = (about) 40 I think so not that bad. Perhaps you could have one for Christmas? Your nearest and dearests might be persuaded to club together to get it for you.