"Quick" or "5 ingredients or less" forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I've searched but couldn't find a forum for "5 ingredient or less" or "quick recipes". Or maybe there's just not enough people at DC who love to cook or loved to cook to warrant a forum such as that. Or maybe I just missed it.

I'm person with a chronic health condition that keeps me from being able to stand at a stove or counter-top for very long at a time so 'quick' is the important word with "few ingredients" following in close proximity. Throw in profound fatigue 24/7 and cooking preparation has to be, er, um 'quick'.

I imagine that people that work and have households to maintain. have children that need their attention would fit in that forum also.

I won't say it's for lazy people------ :LOL: But I will say it's for recipes that aren't just a PBJ sandwich and a coke, although I see nothing wrong with that. :angel:

I love to cook. I used to spend a lot of time and effort cooking and loved every minute of it. But life happens. And although my local Whole Foods has a great deli---- I still like my own cooking.

When I say "5 ingredients or less" that obviously doesn't include salt, pepper, cayenne, soy sauce etc. :) Also time in the oven or crock pot doesn't count in the timing, although it might for some people who have to work.

(P.S. There IS a link under 'forums' for 'Quick Dishes' but it looks as if it isn't active. I clicked and got "Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" There are forums for gluten free, diabetic etc---- not the same as what I'm asking about. Oh, and I didn't notify the admin. Just because I thought I might ask here first.)

Last edited:
This might help you out Cave. Funny, the wife and I were just talking about this very subject yesterday.
Five ingredients or less | BBC Good Food

Boy, you're FAST! :)

Yes, that's the type of thing I mean. But, not to denigrate your suggestion which was right on topic, I also get pleasure 'talking' about the fixing of meals with other people who have chronic illness and their short cuts/ideas.

I don't mean using that forum to 'complain' or have pity parties but to recognize limitations in a forthright and open manner. Plus the conviviality of talking about cooking with people who 'get it' about chronic illness. Although I can stand and walk for very short periods, I can also imagine that there have to be people who are in wheelchairs that also love to cook and could be members.

People with busy lives plus their full good health in that forum will balance it out and I'm sure they would have their own tips.

Thanks for all the replies I've received so far. All good, as far as I can tell. Wouldn't it be great to have a separate forum, though? Hint (grin)

There was a time where I was very much limited in what I could do in the kitchen. I was given a book called Cooking Light: Five Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook. Though an older cookbook, I still use it because I can get dinner on the table within minutes and I have never had a bad meal when using it. I do not typically use recipes, but these were a god-send when I was not able to make my normal meals.

I especially love the spaghetti with clam sauce in it. It uses items from the pantry and can be served without apology to company. I keep staples at home to make it when I have unexpected guests.

@Kathleen----- That sounds like a good book to keep at hand. I've made clam linguine which is probably close to what that book has. Delicious----- don't tell anyone and it tastes just like the finest restaurant item.

Thanks for all the replies I've received so far. All good, as far as I can tell. Wouldn't it be great to have a separate forum, though? Hint (grin)

Perhaps you could ask in the Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements at the very top of all the forum listings.

I think this is a very good idea for have quick and easy meals.

With love,
~Cat

@catpat----- I'll do that, thanks for the info. (What I mean is, I'll do it tomorrow. LOL)

Cave, I too have the same problem. but I don't let that stop me. I have to make an apple pie for my SIL. I have ten apples I have to peel. I will peel a couple, put them in a large bowl of water with lemon juice, ten sit down for about five or ten minutes. Once the pain from my hip and spine has subsided, I will get up and do a little more. It may take my longer than the average cook, but I refuse to give in to something I have no control over. Try to plan dishes that will allow you to sit down while preparing some of the foods. Get a kitchen stool. I have a lovely red one that I love dearly. The only things I can't do that I was able to do 15 years ago is vacuum and ride a bicycle. And I will be 75 in March. :angel:

I do a lot of my cooking like you do Addie. I do a little bit until I start getting warning pains, immediately sit down a for a few minutes and get up again and continue. The trick I've learned is taking warning pains seriously and stopping what I'm doing immediately. If I do that, I don't end up with ongoing pain that may take weeks to get rid of.

I just remind myself that I'm retired and not to push myself.

It's also why I like to make long cooking dishes like beans. Once it's started, I can relax and smell the ongoing process all day.

Last edited:
I do a lot of my cooking like you do Addie. I do a little bit until I start getting warning pains, immediately sit down a for a few minutes and get up again and continue. The trick I've learned is taking warning pains seriously and stopping what I'm doing immediately. If I do that, I don't end up with ongoing pain that may take weeks to get rid of.

I just remind myself that I'm retired and not to push myself.

It's also why I like to make long cooking dishes like beans. Once it's started, I can relax and smell the ongoing process all day.

A couple of years ago I made my very first New Year's resolution. To not be so stubborn. It is an ongoing lifetime problem for me. Hard to admit I am not 20 y. o. anymore. But I work on it everyday. Forcing myself to sit down when the pain starts is getting easier though. I only choose chores and food that allow me to sit more than stand. My apartment is arranged with that in mind. I can find a place to sit within five steps if need be. I love living in a studio apartment. I just wish they didn't have a carpet in here. :angel:

I'm glad you've figured it out too, Addie. I just add these things to my personal list of limitations. It works so well just learning to quit and take a break, and you know what, Addie? It doesn't make any difference that the job I'm trying to accomplish isn't done right away, it get's done eventually, and it didn't matter that I didn't get it done on some schedule. It got done anyway, and I didn't get a longtime backache either.

Last edited:
To the others that posted, Addie, Zhizara------ I've learned most of those 'tricks' out of necessity. Now I just have to remember to implement them---- like doing what cooking chores I can earlier in the day, bit by bit if they can be, and not wait until about 4-5 p.m. to start. That's when my pain and other ills start kicking in more and, of course, that's when I start preparing my dinner! I'm my own worst enemy! :rolleyes:

60 years of cooking habits (I'm 80 now) can't be eliminated quickly! Sigh

If I only had a larger freezer I could prepare several meals of the same thing at once---- but it's too small.

Enough with the 'but ifs', cave----- and get on with it! I do enjoy this site (DC) and it's a pleasure to be here when I should be preparing dinner!!!:LOL:

I would be glad if I still could prepare my dinner when I'm 80.... :rolleyes:

I think you all can be proud of yourself that you are still able to live your own life!

Cave, I too have the same problem. but I don't let that stop me. I have to make an apple pie for my SIL. I have ten apples I have to peel. I will peel a couple, put them in a large bowl of water with lemon juice, ten sit down for about five or ten minutes. Once the pain from my hip and spine has subsided, I will get up and do a little more. It may take my longer than the average cook, but I refuse to give in to something I have no control over. Try to plan dishes that will allow you to sit down while preparing some of the foods. Get a kitchen stool. I have a lovely red one that I love dearly. The only things I can't do that I was able to do 15 years ago is vacuum and ride a bicycle. And I will be 75 in March. :angel:

15 min before you start, take a half a vicodin. I thought we were getting in front of this pain thing. Taking a vicodin before you are in pain is very helpful for you getting more done of those things you want to do, then you take the second half, sit for fifteen and back at it.

I want YOU to manage your pain, not let your pain manage you. Tell Poo I said so and ask him if I am right. (scolding over)

Love you, you know that:angel::angel:

Back
Top Bottom