"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I'm leaving the house at 8am and will be back by 5. The roast will be served at around 8pm.
We also have a second rib roast, also 9 lbs, and was thinking about doing that as soon as I got home. That roast will be for the med rare crowd. Dinner will be served late but who cares......It's NYE....
OK then. It will be in the oven for 9 hrs after you leave. Although the calculations are correct for a nine pound roast at 500 degrees for 45 minutes I would cut that time by half, and drop your oven temp down to the 145 degrees for the remaining time as you planned. That's providing the roast is room temp. when you start. My bet is it will be spectacular and juicy as all get out! Tape the oven closed when you leave, with a big sign on the oven door..."Do not open"!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Kenji Lopez-Alt has tested that theory and says that a hunk of meat doesn't come close to room temperature, even after a couple of hours out of the fridge.

I would go ahead with the reverse sear method. Last year, I was pretty sick at holiday time. I put our first prime rib ever in the oven at 170 till it reached 125F. I was planning to let it rest covered with foil and then sear in the oven at 550F, but I didn't feel well, so I turned off the oven and let it sit in there till I felt better. Then I took it out of the oven, preheated the oven to 550 and seared it for about 10 minutes. I don't remember the exact timing but it was rosy and beautiful inside, with a gorgeous crust.

My oven came with a probe thermometer that plugs into the side of the oven. I set the target temperature and oven temperature I want and then let it do its thing. You could do that and whoever is at home could turn off the oven when it reaches temperature.

In any case, I hope you've salted them heavily and put them in the fridge uncovered to dry out the surface (for better browning) and season the meat.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #13
Master Chef

The roasts came pre-seasoned from Costco and they've been sitting in the fridge uncovered since this morning. I will leave one of them out on the cool kitchen counter for several hours to bring close to room temp.
I'll start the second roast when I come home from work and do a reverse sear on that one.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #14
Master Chef

Good luck to you RF! Your guests are bound to be impressed and please give us a full report about the two masterpieces, when all the celebrations are a memory.
Happy New Year!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks! The roasts came out great. ....even the one that sat in the oven at 145 all day long, but a bit over done for some reason. I did the second roast at 500F for 30 min and let it sit in the oven for 2 hours. I was really pressed for time on the second roast so that method worked out great...
Old 01-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thanks! The roasts came out great. ....even the one that sat in the oven at 145 all day long, but a bit over done for some reason...
If a roast sits in the oven @ 145F for long enough, it will be cooked to 145F throughout. That qualifies as more done than medium rare.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If a roast sits in the oven @ 145F for long enough, it will be cooked to 145F throughout. That qualifies as more done than medium rare.
It looked more like med well which I was not expecting....but the well done crowd was happy with that because they only had to zap it for a minute in the microwave to their liking....
Old 01-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Master Chef

So, although unexpected, in the end the first roast was better for them, and the second better for you!
Good job!!

Yes, your second roast method works out perfectly for us too.

Thanks for the report..I was about to do a shout out.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
It looked more like med well which I was not expecting....but the well done crowd was happy with that because they only had to zap it for a minute in the microwave to their liking....
I did an experiment this year. I didn't cater to the medium and beyond club. I cooked my rib roast medium rare and judging by how much was left on the platter, it didn't cause anyone any concern. I like to think that just maybe I made a convert or two to the proper side of beefeating.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #20
Master Chef

Way to go Rick! Heck yeah, they may not have known what they were missing if they were too hungry to get up and nuke their plate.

Tags
oven, roast