"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

Quick oven rib roast question

I have a 9 lb rib roast. In the morning before heading out for work if I roasted it for 45 min at 500F then reset the oven at 145F (warmer setting) would the roast dry out by the time I got back from work, 6 hours later?
Someone else will be home during that time. Should it be foiled sometime during the day and left in the warmer? Thanks.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I have a 9 lb rib roast. In the morning before heading out for work if I roasted it for 45 min at 500F then reset the oven at 145F (warmer setting) would the roast dry out by the time I got back from work, 6 hours later?
Someone else will be home during that time. Should it be foiled sometime during the day and left in the warmer? Thanks.
I certainly wouldn't try to roast anything at 145. If it was me, I wouldn't try to do a quality piece of meet like that if I couldn't be around to keep an eye on it.

I did a 12 pound rib roast for Christmas, 200 for about 4 hours (pulled it when the probe and the Thermapen agreed on about 127 internal), then remove from oven, preheat to 500, then back in for 10 minutes to sear. Rest for 15 minutes tented. That is the most recommended way to do it, and it came out a perfect medium rare through and through. Best rib roast I've made yet.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I certainly wouldn't try to roast anything at 145. If it was me, I wouldn't try to do a quality piece of meet like that if I couldn't be around to keep an eye on it.

I did a 12 pound rib roast for Christmas, 200 for about 4 hours (pulled it when the probe and the Thermapen agreed on about 127 internal), then remove from oven, preheat to 500, then back in for 10 minutes to sear. Rest for 15 minutes tented. That is the most recommended way to do it, and it came out a perfect medium rare through and through. Best rib roast I've made yet.
That's exactly how I make mine, too. I've also done leg of lamb the same way (except to internal temp around 130-132) and it comes out fantastic every time.

And I agree with not making a roast without being around to keep an eye on it.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

You warm my heart! Another 'low and slow' adherent.
If only others would understand the concept. Sigh.
I was asked recently by a young couple who had never roasted a turkey what to do.
Brine>dry>leave cavity open> no stuffing>no oil/butter just S&P> 200F until deep internal temp. is about 155 F>remove>rest for an hour>into screaming hot oven to crisp the skin> remove and rest for 15 minutes then carve. They came back the next week and said the turkey was the best they and their guests had ever eaten.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks for the replies! If I were home to keep an eye on it I would be doing this differently.

Without opening the oven door the meat will continue to roast at moderately high temps after I reset the oven temp from 500F down to the warming mode but I'm mainly concerned about drying it out.

This is a pre-seasoned rib roast from Costco and last year I simply followed their roasting instructions and it turned out great. 500F for 20 minutes and 200F for however more minutes depending on weight and doneness.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Thanks for the replies! If I were home to keep an eye on it I would be doing this differently.

Without opening the oven door the meat will continue to roast at moderately high temps after I reset the oven temp from 500F down to the warming mode but I'm mainly concerned about drying it out.

This is a pre-seasoned rib roast from Costco and last year I simply followed their roasting instructions and it turned out great. 500F for 20 minutes and 200F for however more minutes depending on weight and doneness.
I have made a rib roast before with the method that does it 500 for 30 minutes, then off completely, and don't touch the oven door for about 5 hours. It came out quite good, but not as good as with the reverse sear method.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You would be good with the method I use. 500F for 5 minutes then drop to 200F, one hour per pound.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

I would definitely try the reverse sear method next time.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Master Chef

RF, what time will you be leaving the house, and what time do you expect to serve?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RF, what time will you be leaving the house, and what time do you expect to serve?
I'm leaving the house at 8am and will be back by 5. The roast will be served at around 8pm.
We also have a second rib roast, also 9 lbs, and was thinking about doing that as soon as I got home. That roast will be for the med rare crowd. Dinner will be served late but who cares......It's NYE....

Tags
oven, roast