Quick oven rib roast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a 9 lb rib roast. In the morning before heading out for work if I roasted it for 45 min at 500F then reset the oven at 145F (warmer setting) would the roast dry out by the time I got back from work, 6 hours later?
Someone else will be home during that time. Should it be foiled sometime during the day and left in the warmer? Thanks.

I have a 9 lb rib roast. In the morning before heading out for work if I roasted it for 45 min at 500F then reset the oven at 145F (warmer setting) would the roast dry out by the time I got back from work, 6 hours later?
Someone else will be home during that time. Should it be foiled sometime during the day and left in the warmer? Thanks.

I certainly wouldn't try to roast anything at 145°. If it was me, I wouldn't try to do a quality piece of meet like that if I couldn't be around to keep an eye on it.

I did a 12 pound rib roast for Christmas, 200° for about 4½ hours (pulled it when the probe and the Thermapen agreed on about 127° internal), then remove from oven, preheat to 500°, then back in for 10 minutes to sear. Rest for 15 minutes tented. That is the most recommended way to do it, and it came out a perfect medium rare through and through. Best rib roast I've made yet.

I certainly wouldn't try to roast anything at 145°. If it was me, I wouldn't try to do a quality piece of meet like that if I couldn't be around to keep an eye on it.

I did a 12 pound rib roast for Christmas, 200° for about 4½ hours (pulled it when the probe and the Thermapen agreed on about 127° internal), then remove from oven, preheat to 500°, then back in for 10 minutes to sear. Rest for 15 minutes tented. That is the most recommended way to do it, and it came out a perfect medium rare through and through. Best rib roast I've made yet.

That's exactly how I make mine, too. I've also done leg of lamb the same way (except to internal temp around 130-132°) and it comes out fantastic every time.

And I agree with not making a roast without being around to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

You warm my heart! Another 'low and slow' adherent.
If only others would understand the concept. Sigh.
I was asked recently by a young couple who had never roasted a turkey what to do.
Brine>dry>leave cavity open> no stuffing>no oil/butter just S&P> 200F until deep internal temp. is about 155 F>remove>rest for an hour>into screaming hot oven to crisp the skin> remove and rest for 15 minutes then carve. They came back the next week and said the turkey was the best they and their guests had ever eaten.

Thanks for the replies! If I were home to keep an eye on it I would be doing this differently.

Without opening the oven door the meat will continue to roast at moderately high temps after I reset the oven temp from 500F down to the warming mode but I'm mainly concerned about drying it out.

This is a pre-seasoned rib roast from Costco and last year I simply followed their roasting instructions and it turned out great. 500F for 20 minutes and 200F for however more minutes depending on weight and doneness.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! If I were home to keep an eye on it I would be doing this differently.

Without opening the oven door the meat will continue to roast at moderately high temps after I reset the oven temp from 500F down to the warming mode but I'm mainly concerned about drying it out.

This is a pre-seasoned rib roast from Costco and last year I simply followed their roasting instructions and it turned out great. 500F for 20 minutes and 200F for however more minutes depending on weight and doneness.

I have made a rib roast before with the method that does it 500 for 30 minutes, then off completely, and don't touch the oven door for about 5 hours. It came out quite good, but not as good as with the reverse sear method.

You would be good with the method I use. 500F for 5 minutes then drop to 200F, one hour per pound.

RF, what time will you be leaving the house, and what time do you expect to serve?
I'm leaving the house at 8am and will be back by 5. The roast will be served at around 8pm.
We also have a second rib roast, also 9 lbs, and was thinking about doing that as soon as I got home. That roast will be for the med rare crowd. Dinner will be served late but who cares......It's NYE....:LOL:

I'm leaving the house at 8am and will be back by 5. The roast will be served at around 8pm.
We also have a second rib roast, also 9 lbs, and was thinking about doing that as soon as I got home. That roast will be for the med rare crowd. Dinner will be served late but who cares......It's NYE....:LOL:

OK then. It will be in the oven for 9 hrs after you leave. Although the calculations are correct for a nine pound roast at 500 degrees for 45 minutes I would cut that time by half, and drop your oven temp down to the 145 degrees for the remaining time as you planned. That's providing the roast is room temp. when you start. My bet is it will be spectacular and juicy as all get out! Tape the oven closed when you leave, with a big sign on the oven door..."Do not open"!!

Kenji Lopez-Alt has tested that theory and says that a hunk of meat doesn't come close to room temperature, even after a couple of hours out of the fridge.

I would go ahead with the reverse sear method. Last year, I was pretty sick at holiday time. I put our first prime rib ever in the oven at 170 till it reached 125F. I was planning to let it rest covered with foil and then sear in the oven at 550F, but I didn't feel well, so I turned off the oven and let it sit in there till I felt better. Then I took it out of the oven, preheated the oven to 550 and seared it for about 10 minutes. I don't remember the exact timing but it was rosy and beautiful inside, with a gorgeous crust.

My oven came with a probe thermometer that plugs into the side of the oven. I set the target temperature and oven temperature I want and then let it do its thing. You could do that and whoever is at home could turn off the oven when it reaches temperature.

In any case, I hope you've salted them heavily and put them in the fridge uncovered to dry out the surface (for better browning) and season the meat.

The roasts came pre-seasoned from Costco and they've been sitting in the fridge uncovered since this morning. I will leave one of them out on the cool kitchen counter for several hours to bring close to room temp.
I'll start the second roast when I come home from work and do a reverse sear on that one.

Good luck to you RF! Your guests are bound to be impressed and please give us a full report about the two masterpieces, when all the celebrations are a memory.
Happy New Year!!!

Thanks! The roasts came out great. ....even the one that sat in the oven at 145 all day long, but a bit over done for some reason. I did the second roast at 500F for 30 min and let it sit in the oven for 2 hours. I was really pressed for time on the second roast so that method worked out great...

Last edited:
Thanks! The roasts came out great. ....even the one that sat in the oven at 145 all day long, but a bit over done for some reason...

If a roast sits in the oven @ 145ºF for long enough, it will be cooked to 145ºF throughout. That qualifies as more done than medium rare.

If a roast sits in the oven @ 145ºF for long enough, it will be cooked to 145ºF throughout. That qualifies as more done than medium rare.
It looked more like med well which I was not expecting....but the well done crowd was happy with that because they only had to zap it for a minute in the microwave to their liking....:LOL:

So, although unexpected, in the end the first roast was better for them, and the second better for you!
Good job!!:clap:

Yes, your second roast method works out perfectly for us too. :yum:

Thanks for the report..I was about to do a shout out. ;)

It looked more like med well which I was not expecting....but the well done crowd was happy with that because they only had to zap it for a minute in the microwave to their liking....:LOL:

I did an experiment this year. I didn't cater to the medium and beyond club. I cooked my rib roast medium rare and judging by how much was left on the platter, it didn't cause anyone any concern. I like to think that just maybe I made a convert or two to the proper side of beefeating. :innocent:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom