Quinoa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitlin71809

Assistant Cook
Fortunately, my daughter, who is allergic to everything, loves quinoa. The rest of the family, not so much. Does anyone have a really tasty quinoa recipe to share? Lilly will eat it straight up, so I can always omit ingredients for her portion.

Thanks,
Caitlin

Hi Caitlan.....welcome to DC

There is nothing to make quinoa taste better, sorry. :LOL:
Just kidding......kinda.
There are lots of folks here who like it, and they will be way more help than me.

Don't even bring up the word kasha. :sick:

Glad your daughter likes something so healthy for her though, again, a big welcome.

I really love quinoa.. just cooked with a bit if salt and then topped with butter. Red quinoa has a nice nutty flavor... not so crazy about the plain..

There are some interesting recipes here you might try: http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

I really love quinoa.. just cooked with a bit if salt and then topped with butter. Red quinoa has a nice nutty flavor... not so crazy about the plain..

There are some interesting recipes here you might try: http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

Guess which one I havn't tried, yet? The red...it's always out at the bulk foods. I'm going to have to special order so I can get to it first when it comes in!:LOL:

Quinoa Salad

1 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or water
3/4 cup(s) uncooked quinoa, * (wash it)
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp orange marmalade
2 tsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup(s) sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
1 cup(s) shredded carrots
1 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
1 small sweet red pepper(s), thinly sliced
3 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp scallion(s), thinly sliced
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

In a small saucepan, combine broth and quinoa; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, marmalade, oil, ginger and salt; set aside.
After quinoa has cooked for 10 minutes, toss in snap peas to partially steam them; cover and simmer until most of liquid has been absorbed, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in carrots, cabbage, peppers and dressing; mix to thoroughly combine. Garnish with cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.

Make it like your favorite pilaf.

(or mine)

1/2 tbs butter
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup red Quinoa
1/2 cup white Quinoa
3 bayleaves
optional:add some brown/white or small pasta or orzo

Put above ingredients in skillet and brown/toast Quinoa.

Add dried green herbs such as dill,sage,persley,savory.
Add 1 tbs lemon juice and 2 cans chicken broth.
Cook until tender.

Sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Toasting it helps with the flavor.

Toasted Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
water

1. Pour 1 cup quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse thoroughly under cool water-this will get rid of it's natural, bitter coating.

2. Put rinsed quinoa into a large frying pan over medium heat.

3. Cook, shaking the pan for around 15 minutes or until the quinoa reaches a golden brown.

4. Remove from heat and pan and cool.

5. Store in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid.

6. Keeps for up to 1 month.

I made this for my special diets group when I cooked at camp. The vegetarians, gluten/wheat free and others loved it. I have made many changes, but thought I would start you off with the original recipe. Quinoa and Black Beans. If your daughter doesn't like black beans, you can leave them out or exchange them, as with the corn as well.

Has anyone found a good low cost way to purchase quinoa? I am amazed at how much it costs.

Janet, I tried purchasing it once in bulk at our grocery store as it was considerably cheaper. However, DH was getting gluten reactions from the cookies I made for him out of it and he hadn't from the packaged flakes I was buying at our organic store. I suddenly remembered why I don't buy anything in bulk (cross contamination is an issue for us) but if that isn't a problem for you, you should look to see if the store you shop at carries it in bulk.

I found even Costco was high priced! I think as it becomes more popular the price will go down.

Toasting it helps with the flavor.

Toasted Quinoa

1 cup quinoa
water

1. Pour 1 cup quinoa into a fine strainer and rinse thoroughly under cool water-this will get rid of it's natural, bitter coating.

2. Put rinsed quinoa into a large frying pan over medium heat.

3. Cook, shaking the pan for around 15 minutes or until the quinoa reaches a golden brown.

4. Remove from heat and pan and cool.

5. Store in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid.

6. Keeps for up to 1 month.

Thanks mcnerd........I gotta do something with this bag I don't like.
GB......that sounds like a good recipe to make the darn stuff palatable. ;)

I'm thinking of substituting quinoa for bulgar when "toubouleh" <sp> season arrives this summer. I picked up red and "white" at the bulk food store a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tried the red yet. I am hoping to get some black as well, just don't know where. My brother supposedly knows where I can get black locally but I'm HOPING he brought me some black quinoa from S.A. I will finally have time to see him on Tuesday...I read s/where to store it in the fridge, btw.

The last time I made this, I didn't have enough bulgar, so I used 1/2 quinoa and 1/2 bulgar. It was very nice.

Recipe Details

I like Giada's Oven Roasted Chile Relleno with Chipotle Asado Sauce.Oven Roasted Chile Relleno with Chipotle Asado Sauce Recipe : : Food Network

A bit complicated to make though not too much. Craig's not real big on it even though he likes the SW/Mexican type food. He just does't like quinoa.

For first timer's using quinoa though be sure to wash and wash and wash and wash and then wash some more to get rid of the bitterness. My aunt, who is almost a vegan, clued me into that when I complained that I couldn't get rid of the bitterness even though I was washing it.

Karen

Last edited:
For first timer's using quinoa though be sure to wash and wash and wash and wash and then wash some more to get rid of the bitterness. My aunt, who is almost a vegan, clued me into that when I complained that I couldn't get rid of the bitterness even though I was washing it.

Thanks Karen, the one and only time I used it I didn't wash it at all !! No wonder I thought it was so terrible.

You're welcome and, YUCK, we could barely get it down, it was so bitter, the first couple of times we tried it and I was washing it then, just not enough. I'm surprised you didn't throw the rest of it away even though it is expensive.

Karen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom